Post subject: No One to Blame ( Cole/Piper) Leo's POV
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:28 pm 
Fan Fic Lover

Charmed

Title: No One to Blame

Author: Teri aka tessalynne

Pairing: Cole/Piper

Rating: YTeen

Disclaimer: “Charmed” and all related characters and events are the property of the WB television network, except for any characters specifically created for this story. This is a work of fan fiction and no infringement of copyright is intended.

Authors Notes: As the pairing indicates, it is AU and though it follows no particular timeline there are a couple of things to note. Leo is an Elder, Cole retains his powers as Belthazor and never became the Source, Wyatt was never born and Phoebe works at the Bay Mirror with Jason Dean.

Part 4 – No One to Blame

Rage would be easier. Leo anchored his mind to that thought in the sea of confusion and pain that threatened to engulf him. Pressing himself deeper into the shadows, he struggled to free the vise around his heart and silently willed his lungs to work once more. His fisted hands clenched spasmodically as he watched the laughing couple across the club.

To the casual observer there was nothing remarkable about the scene Leo was watching. Just a man and a woman decorating for a New Year’s Eve party. The part of him that refused to grasp rage could hear his mind desperately arguing that all was as innocent as it appeared to be. But his heart sickened with the truth. Piper and Cole were lovers.

He hadn’t orbed in to find them locked in a passionate embrace or tearing their clothes off like over-eager teenagers. They hadn’t so much as kissed logic stubbornly reminded him. But his brain could insist on all the evidence it wished; his heart, his very soul sensed the unseen and the unspoken.

It rang in the laughter that mocked his presence. It sang in each little quip they exchanged. The leisurely slide of Cole’s hands from waist to hip as he’d lifted her from the ladder screamed of an easy intimacy. Piper’s fingers brushing glitter from dark curls spoke tenderness at a deafening volume. Each time their eyes met the electricity arced and sparked, entwining, creating an almost visible cord of fire between the two. No, Leo didn’t need to see an embrace. Their passion was a living, breathing entity, visible without sight, feeling without touch. Beyond word or reason, it simply was.

“How could they?” The ragged question had squeezed past the lump lodged in his throat and found voice before Leo could stop it. He glanced sharply toward the couple across the room to be certain he hadn’t been heard. For even as the question had escaped him, another question had sprang to life within him. How could they not? And he was unprepared to face Cole and Piper with his questions until he had sought answers within himself.

“Cole, we’re finished with the streamers. Could you put that box in the office please?”

Leo’s turmoil was replaced with a sense of urgency as he watched Cole head for the box in question. He had to get out of here. But where to go? He wasn’t ready to go back ‘up there’. And it was with a blinding, if belated clarity that he realized Paige had known. That’s why she hadn’t thought it was a good idea for Leo to go to the club. And that meant the manor wasn’t a good choice either. He needed to think, to calm the tempest swirling within him and he could think of only one place that would give him the solitude to do so.

The Bay breeze tousled Leo’s hair as he materialized from the glow of blue and white orbs at the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. Here, where he communed with the Elders, where he meditated, here he could think without being observed or disturbed. It was a good choice. Already, the peace he associated with this spot was relaxing the grip that shock and pain held on his heart. His lungs loosened, allowing him to draw a deep cleansing breath. The first since his realization. The brisk December air had already begun to clear the emotional cobwebs that had clouded his thoughts at P3.

Standing quietly in the late afternoon sun, Leo realized that his calming was a direct result of the man surrendering control of the situation to the White Lighter in him, that part of himself that had led him to eventually become an Elder. And that it was the very existence of this dichotomy within him that held at least a part of the answers he sought.

Leo Wyatt the man wanted to shout, to rail against the fates, to smash that demon’s face in for daring to take what was his. But Leo Wyatt the Elder had deeper thoughts. The biting sense of loss and bitter cut of betrayal were understandable. They could not however be completely justified to his more reasoning nature. And it was that more reasoning nature that spoke to him in the stillness.

It had largely been guilt that had drawn him to visit the manor today. He had not been needed due to demonic activity for some time now and hadn’t even put in an appearance at Christmas. Even though he knew what holidays meant to Piper. It was certainly no secret that things had been bitterly strained between them long before his ascension to Elder. In an effort to avoid what seemed to be inevitable conflict between them, Leo had to acknowledge that he had often deliberately absented himself. And since his ascension, their relationship had gone from strained and distant to non-existent. Could what they had even legitimately be called a marriage any longer?

They had been warned in the very beginning that their love was impossible and forbidden. And the outcome made those warnings seem more than sensible in hindsight. Their needs were simply too often in opposition, slowly tearing them apart, turning a fairytale love into a daily nightmare. His pain might be reasonable; but was it right that he ask Piper to live without love because they had made a mistake? They had both charged in, foolish children prepared to fight the world, to be beaten down by the effort. And the innate injustice of continuing to suffer in the face of that reality washed over Leo with a shudder.

“But the demon?” Leo let the wind take his bitter question.

“No, not the demon; Cole,” his more reasonable nature corrected. He had no control over what he was by birth. But he had done far too much for all of them to be relegated to ‘the demon’ to salve Leo’s wounded pride. Even though he hadn’t been around recently Leo was aware that things hadn’t worked out between Cole and Phoebe. He wasn’t sure how closely they had examined the failure, if at all. In Leo’s mind it was a striking parallel of his and Piper’s failure. Determined children rushing into love without heed to the consequences.

“Cole and I behaving like stubborn children at our ages,” Leo snorted, “It would be almost amusing if the result wasn’t so damning.”

Leo shivered slightly. It wasn’t the wind, but the questions he was being forced to face that chilled him. Did he believe that this was some kind of rebound relationship? No. As much as a part of him wanted to believe that was the case, honesty wouldn’t allow him even that small comfort. They weren’t second choices to one another, merely the right choice delayed by mistakes that came before. Of the two questions Leo had asked himself at the club, it was the second that bore answering. How could they not? How could the woman who always craved normalcy and support to balance her life not be drawn to the man who had given up everything he had ever known to embrace those very things?
And was Leo himself willing to try and give those things to Piper? Was Phoebe interested in having those things with Cole? Leo bowed his head sadly. The answer to both those questions was no. They had tried that already. Tried and failed.

As the sun began to set, Leo remained silent and still. Closing his eyes and releasing the turmoil within himself he allowed the natural sense of loss to wash through him. He supposed that the Power of Three would survive this. Paige had already seemed almost protective of the couple. And while no one could predict what Phoebe would do, she had depths that had frequently surprised them all in the past. This left only the question of what he would do now and that answer came much easier than he would have expected.

The manor was silent and dark except for the blue and white lights that briefly lit Piper’s bedroom. Everyone was out. Leo assumed they were at P3 and that was as he wanted it. This wasn’t about confrontation. He glanced at the object he held one final time. Certain that Piper would understand this for what it was, Leo moved quickly toward the neatly made bed.

His eyes briefly registered the small traces of Cole as he went. Confirming that he had come to the only decision possible. When he reached the side of the bed he solemnly uncoiled the object he carried and removed a blade from his robes. A single slash neatly cut the silken strands of the cord and Leo laid the pieces reverently in the center of the bed.

Leo glanced one last time at the cord that had bound them in marriage at their wedding, as it lay silently severed, breaking the union it once sealed. “Be happy Piper,” he whispered to the darkness.

And as he orbed away Leo knew that rage would be easier. But what would be the point, there was no one to blame.

~ Teri ~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:41 am 
Wow! What a wonderful story! Sad, very, very sad in Leo's perspective, but great in his willingness to let go and let Piper "be happy". Thank you for continuing it! :)

I've become inspired to write Leo and Paige. You've inspired me, Teri! :) What do you think of that idea??? It would be as if Piper had a relationship with Leo but they didn't marry, it just ended and he got with Paige later...what do you think??

Last edited by Angie on Sun May 21, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:31 am 
Feedbacking Sci Fi King

That was indeed sad. :cry: But Leo is doing the right thing in not allowing rage to be victorious. I loved this part:

Quote:
Leo Wyatt the man wanted to shout, to rail against the fates, to smash that demon’s face in for daring to take what was his. But Leo Wyatt the Elder had deeper thoughts. The biting sense of loss and bitter cut of betrayal were understandable. They could not however be completely justified to his more reasoning nature. And it was that more reasoning nature that spoke to him in the stillness.

And the cutting of the thread was very interesting. I thought he was going after Cole at first! :lol

Great story, Teri! :D

Hopeless Candy-Coated, Stargazing, Dreamer!
- - - -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 am 
Fan Fic Lover

Thanks for the wonderful feedback Angie and Gerry, it is much appreciated.

Angie I think that is a wonderful idea for a story. When it comes to ships I have a firm belief that everyone has a story if it is just told properly. Go for it! :D

And nope Gerry, I just couldn't have him go after Cole. Aside from Cole being my favorite Charmed fellow, I have just seen too many of those. I wanted to go more for a 'sometimes things happen in life and it is sad but we must deal with it kind of thing' Seemed to present more of a challenge to portray it that way given the basic complications of the relationships to begin with.

Again, thanks to you both for the feedback. :D

Teri

~ Teri ~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:46 am 
You're welcome, Teri! :) And thank you for the kind support on my idea! loL! :) I like Cole too and I love a good story that depicts a hero that is able to look past pain and anguish and forge ahead!! Awesome job, Teri!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

Wow great story I felt bad for Leo love him so much, but though I'm a avid Piper/Leo fan I did see something between Piper and Cole.