It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:00 pm 
Dorkus Maximus and Super Wuss

Part 20

Right on schedule Nancy thought to herself as the two FBI agents entered the CrashDown and sat at their regular corner booth. She slipped her hand into her apron pocket and hits the speed dial button on her cell phone. After one minute, she reached back in, and disconnected the call without saying a word.

Fifteen minutes later, a crying Amy DeLucca walked in along with Diane Evans who was trying to comfort her. Nancy turned to Geoff who was manning the grill and shouted, “I’m going to go see what’s wrong honey, can you keep an eye on the register?”

He nodded, and Nancy walked over to where the other ladies were sitting in a booth at the back of the restaurant.

“Amy, honey, what’s the matter? Can I help at all?” asked Nancy as she slid into the booth next to Amy.

“Oh Nancy, I’m so sorry we missed you last night, I tried to call you. Please tell me you got the message Philip left at the restaurant,” Diane Evans said.

“I did, but it didn’t make a lot of sense. Something about taking care of family, which made no sense. What’s going on?” asked Nancy

“It’s Sean. He was arrested again. I didn’t know what to do when he called me for help,” said Amy, wiping the tears from her face. “Philip and Diane had just shown up to pick Jim and I up to meet you. I started telling Philip what happened, and he agreed to take on the case. We started working on it right way.”

“After about an hour,” Diane continued for the distraught Amy, “I remembered we were all supposed to meet. We tried to reach you on your cell phone and couldn’t, so Philip left a message at the restaurant for you.”

“I forgot to charge my cell yesterday, so it was dead. But it’s no big deal. Geoff and I had a nice quiet night together if you know what I mean,” grinned Nancy raising her eyebrow.

The three women laugh together and Nancy reached out and took Amy’s hand.

“You know Geoff and I are here if you need anything, Amy. Anything at all.”

“That’s right Amy,” added Diane. “You know you don’t have to go through this whole Sean thing alone. We’re all here to help you.”

“Maybe Geoff could use him here if, I mean when Philip gets him released,” added Nancy “Don’t the judges look favorably upon employment?”

In the booth behind Diane, one of the agents got up and walked across the restaurant and headed out he door. Once outside, he pulled out a cell phone.

“Henderson, this is Webber. We were wrong, our cover’s not blown, repeat, our cover is intact.”

He closed the cell and stepped back into the restaurant. As he entered the door, Jim Valenti stepped out from the alleyway where he had been listening to the agent’s phone call. He strolled casually into the café, walked up to the counter and signaled to Nancy to come take his order. She excused herself and joined him at the counter.

”Deputy Valenti, what can I get for you today?” she asked, flashing him a smile.

“Hi Nancy, I swear you get more beautiful with every passing day.”

“You are such a flirt Jim,” said Nancy laughing.

“I think I’ll have an Alien Blast today. To go please, I need to get back to work,” said Jim, studying the menu.

“Sure thing, Jim; that will be just a minute. Can I get you anything else with that?”

“No, that will be fine. Just fine,” he added significantly as he subtly motioned towards the agents in the back of the room.

Nancy flashed him a quick smile to show she understood.

“Well, I think I see a couple more beautiful ladies who are pining away for me across the room,” said Jim, tipping his hat at Nancy

“I’ll bring your order over when it’s ready,” she called to his back as he crossed the room. After making sure the agent’s attention was on Jim, Nancy turned to Geoff at the grill and flashed a quick. Geoff quickly grabbed his cell phone and placed a call to Philip to let him know the agents aren’t suspicious of them any longer.

Jim slid into the booth next to Amy and placed a swift kiss on her cheek.

“How are two of my favorite ladies doing on this fine day?” he asked with a smile

“Jim, you are such a terrible flirt lately,” laughed Diane.

“Well, it’s true,” said Jim, placing his hat on the table. “You ladies are indeed a vision of loveliness.”

Nancy approached the table Jim’s take out in her hand, and burst out laughing. “I can’t believe that you aren’t Irish with all the blarney you’ve been handing out.”

“Oh sure’n I’ve a drop of the leprechaun’s blood in me,” said Jim in a very fake Irish brogue. “Wait, leprechauns, that reminds me,” he added. “I bumped into Madam Vivienne today Amy, and she wanted to know if I knew where you were.”

“Hmmm, I wonder what she wants?” asked Diane.

“Oh probably wants to know if I can order her some incense and stuff through the store,” said Amy. “I give her the wholesale rate, and she does readings for me at a discount.”

“Well, you and Diane mentioned taking Nancy to lunch today to make up for last night,” said Jim. “Why don’t the three of you stop there on you way? Who knows, maybe she’ll see a handsome singing law man inviting you out to dinner tonight.” He laughed, but at the same time he shot the ladies a very intense look.

Nancy quickly caught his meaning and jumped in. “Sure, lunch is a great idea, and I certainly don’t mind stopping out at Madam Vivienne’s place first. We local businesses have to support each other.”

While the three ladies laughed, Jim placed his hat back on his head and grabbed his to go order. He called a quick goodbye to Geoff Parker and left the café. After a few minutes of chitchat designed to convince the agents that they were nothing but three friends getting together, the three women exited the CrashDown and climbed into Diane Evans’ car.

Diane put the car in drive and eased out into traffic and headed out of town in the direction of Madam Vivienne’s house. Several miles outside of town, they saw Jim’s blazer parked on the side of the road. Diane pulled over, and Jim climbed out of the Blazer and made his way to the parked car.

“What’s up Jim?” asked Diane through the open window. “What’s with the Madam Vivienne stuff?”

“She really did bump into me, but she didn’t want to see just Amy,” explained the former sheriff. “She was adamant about seeing the three of you together. Personally, I think she’s just a big quack anyhow.”

“Well, you may think she’s a quack, but I don’t, and remember what Liz’s journal said. Madam Vivienne warned Michael about what was going to happen at graduation,” said Amy. “Besides, Maria had complete faith in her.”

“Yeah,” says Jim doubtfully. “No offense, but Maria having complete faith in her isn’t exactly reassuring. But, I also know that nothing I say is going to stop you from going out there. But promise me the three of you will watch your backs, okay?”

“We will Jim,” said Diane. She waited until the Jim pulled out before she put the car in gear and took off down the road towards Madam Vivienne’s house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:02 pm 

part 21

Kyle drove down the deserted highway, while Liz sat in the back of the car with a still unconscious Maria.

“I don’t get it Liz. How did the FBI, or the Special Unit or whatever the hell they were know where Michael and Maria were living?” asked Kyle.

“I don’t know, unless they had a bug on them too,” said Liz. “Pull over Kyle, there’s a rest area over there.”

Kyle pulled the car into the relatively deserted rest area, and Liz grabbed the keys from them and popped the trunk. She pulled Michael and Maria’s escape bags out of the back and dumped the contents on the ground.

Kyle, realizing what she was doing, got out of the car and began to help her. They went through all the clothing and personal possessions, but couldn’t find anything. Liz started ripping at the seams of one of the bags with Kyle’s pocketknife.

“Found it,” she yelled triumphantly as she held the small transmitter up in her hand. She and Kyle gathered up Michael and Maria’s belongings and tossed them in the trunk, just as state trooper pulled into the rest area.

“Good evening,” said the trooper, exiting the patrol car. “Are you folks having any problems tonight.”

“Oh no officer,” said Liz, shooting him a blinding grin. The officer blushed a little at Liz’s beautiful smile, and smiled back. “We were just driving home when,” she paused as Maria picked that very inopportune time to regain consciousness. Without missing a beat, Liz continued, “My friend Maria felt sick to her stomach, so we pulled over. She and her boyfriend had a bad fight, and she decided that a few frozen mudslides would help ease her pain. When Jeff and I, this is my boyfriend Jeff,” she said pointing to Kyle, “found out what was happening, we had some friends drive us up to be with her. Now we’re just trying to get her home in one piece.”

“That’s very commendable of you,” said the trooper. “Do you mind if I take a look at her?”

“Oh no, of course not sir,” said Liz shooting Kyle a worried glance.

The trooper walked over to the car and opened the door where he found a disoriented Maria leaning against the seat crying.

“Where’s Space Boy? I need my Space Boy!”

The trooper looked at Liz questioningly.

“Pet name,” she responded. “At least I think it is, but there are just some things I don’t really need to know,” she added, smiling flirtatiously at the trooper.

“All right then, everything seems to be ok here, and remember, if you get tired, pull over. We wouldn’t want you to have an accident this late at night,” he said totally charmed by Liz’s engaging grin.

“Oh we will sir,” said Kyle as he trooper walked back to his vehicle.

The trooper climbed into his patrol car and started the motor. He rolled down the window to say goodbye, but stopped when Liz ran over to him.

“Oh Officer,” she called. She leaned into the window with one hand on the roof near the vehicle’s safety lights. Kyle watching from a distance saw a soft green glow come from her hand.

“I just wanted to say thank you very much for checking on us. It’s so nice to know that there are people like you who care.”

“Just doing my job miss,” replied the embarrassed state trooper. “You and your friends drive safely.

“Oh we will, and you please do the same,” she said giving him a wide smile.

The state trooper pulled out after giving them a friendly wave and Liz walked back towards Kyle, smiling happily.

“What the hell was that performance about?” he asked Liz. “Have you forgotten you’re a married woman now? And what’s with using your powers in front of a cop?”

“Kyle, relax, he didn’t see me, I kept him distracted, and while I was smiling oh so sweetly at him, I attached the transmitter to the light bar on his vehicle. Let him be tailed for a while.”

“Damn Liz, you are good,” he said while the two walked back to Maria. “So you had a transmitter on you and so did Michael. I wonder if Isabelle and Max did too?”

“I don’t think so Kyle. I’m guessing Jesse knew you guys were in Boston with him, and I’m also betting he knew we may split up, but we wouldn’t split up completely. He had one transmitter placed with each “pair” of us,” Liz replied as she opened the car door and climbed in next to Maria.

“Maria, honey, it’s me Liz. Maria, are you ok?”

“Where’s Michael,” she cried. “Where am I?”

“Maria, relax, tell me your name.”

”I’m not Maria. I’m Mariah Carey,” said the other girl looking at Liz suspiciously.

“Ah Liz, I’m guessing she doesn’t recognize you or remember what you looked like this afternoon,” said Kyle.

“You’re probably right,” said Liz. She passed a hand over her hair and face. Within a matter of seconds, Liz looked like herself again. When Maria finally realized what she was seeing, she collapsed into Liz’s arms, crying. Kyle climbed into the car and drove down the road while Liz filled Maria in on everything that had happened.

“You mean the shop exploded?” Maria asked.

“Yeah, and you were knocked out. Well we all were, but you took the longest to recover. I guess you head isn’t as hard as we always thought it was,” said Liz with a small laugh.

“And Michael is going to meet us? You promise me he’s ok?” demanded Maria.

“Maria, I promise you. I spoke to him a couple of hours ago, and he was fine. In fact, he’ll probably be calling soon to check on you,” Liz said, soothingly.

“I don’t want to wait for that, gimme your cell phone,” said Maria, holding out her hand

Liz handed the phone over to her friend and watched while she punched in a code. Maria let the phone ring twice and hung up. She hit redial, let it ring two more times and hung up again. In less than five minutes, he phone rang and Maria answered it.

“Space Boy?”

Maria, is that you?

“What, you have other girls who call you Space Boy?” Maria quipped.

Maria, I’m so glad you are all right, listen, I can’t talk, but stick with Liz and Kyle, and we’ll all meet up at the rendezvous spot. I should be there by tomorrow afternoon.

“Michael thinks he’ll make it there by tomorrow afternoon,” said Maria to the others. “What about us?”

“Right about the same time,” estimated Kyle.

“We should be there then too Space Boy. I love you.”

[]I love you to Maria,[/I] said Michael right before he disconnected the call. Maria passed the phone back to Liz and leaned back against the seat, smiling.

“Hey Liz,” said Kyle looking into the backseat through the rear view mirror. “Do you think you can take over for a while? I’m wiped, and I want to try and contact Isabelle. She must be frantic by now. I was just reaching out to here when the building exploded, and I haven’t had a chance to try again since then.”

“Sure Kyle, pull off at the next exit, and we’ll grab something to eat and I’ll take over from there,” said Liz. “I’m kind of hungry, anyhow.”

Kyle pulled off at the next off ramp, and drove into a crowed truck stop. They climbed out of the car and grabbed some food. After they finished their meal, the group headed out to their car. Liz climbed behind the wheel, while Kyle slid into the back seat next to Maria. Liz started the car, and eased out on to the busy highway, driving towards her husband, and their new destiny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:02 pm 

Part 22

Max managed to get a distraught Isabelle to leave the theme park. He felt safe in assuming that they wouldn’t be meeting up with Liz and Kyle that night.

Or maybe anytime soon, he thought to himself.

Once they got to their car, the two headed to a small hotel a few miles away from the theme park. Once they are settled in their room, Max asked Isabelle to explain again the connection she and Kyle have, and how it all came about.

“Well, I think we were living in Somerville, which is just outside of Boston when Kyle’s powers started to appear,” said Isabelle. “He wasn’t as freaked as Liz, because he knew it was going to happen. She had no clue, but he learned from her experiences and didn’t freak quite as much. One night, he was watching a Patriots game on television. Something happened, and he yelled and threw his hands and started shouting at the television. But the television wasn’t there anymore, he had blown it up.”

Max smiled at the image, while Isabelle continued her story.

“Needless to say, Kyle being Kyle, he was more upset about missing the end of the game then anything else. He wanted to practice, and develop his powers, but we were in such a crowded city, that finding empty space where we wouldn’t be observed was next to impossible. Kyle decided that his studies of Buddha would be very helpful. He would have me explain how to do something, and he would go over it again and again in his mind, and meditate on the techniques.”

Isabelle paced around the small cramped room. She traced one finger over the tacky hotel art that graced the walls and grimaced. She sat back down and resumed her story.

“One night, I had a really bad headache, and he just wouldn’t shut up. I could hear him over an over again, ‘focus the power and direct it through your hand.’ I yelled at him to shut up. Max, he was so confused, because he hadn’t said anything. I knew he had, because I heard him….as clear as day, I heard him, but he kept insisting that I was nuts. I walked out of the room, and I heard him say, ‘She must be pms-ing.’ I stormed right back in there and got in his face about his chauvinistic comment. Max the look on his face was almost comical. He kept denying it left and right. Finally he said he was thinking it, but he hadn’t said it. The next thing I knew, there I was staring right at his face. He was asking me if I wanted to go grab a pizza, but Max, his mouth wasn’t moving.”

“Ever since then, we’ve been able to communicate that way. I can’t initiate a conversation, only he can do that, but once he does, we are able to carry on a full conversation without speaking. We were working on finding out how far away we could be from each other and have it work. One time, he got as far as Albany New York, and we could still communicate. But neither one of us were comfortable with being apart for that long, so we didn’t try any to go any further.”

Isabelle stopped and drew a shaky breath. Working to keep her emotions under control, she continued. “Tonight, Kyle was just starting to contact me, when I heard him scream, and then there was nothing. Max, I’m so scared, something happened, and I don’t know what it is.”

“I know Isabelle, I’m scared too, but we can’t panic now, that won’t do anything,” said Max. “We need to focus and concentrate. Do you think you can try dream walking Kyle or Liz?”

“I’d need a picture Max, and I don’t have any,” said Isabelle. “I left them all back in Roswell.”

“I have some,” Max admitted sheepishly. Fishing in his bag, he pulled out what looked like a bookmark. Max passed his hand over it, and changed the bookmark into a strip of pictures taken from a photo booth. Isabelle took the strip from him and looked at the photos.

“Oh Max, they’re from your wedding.” After the small ceremony, the teens had stopped at a pizza place to eat and plan. Next to the restaurant was an arcade with an old photo booth. Isabelle smiled as she remembered insisting that their wedding deserved to be documented. There was one snap of Max and Liz alone, one of Max and Liz with Michael and Maria, and one of them with Kyle and Isabelle.

“Ok, I’ll try it,” she said as she went to lie down on the bed. Isabelle forced herself to calm down and relax. She took several deep breaths and closed her eyes. Just as she was preparing to enter the dream plane, she heard a voice in her head.

Max watched as she smiled widely. Her lips started moving, but he couldn’t hear what she was saying. After what seemed like hours to Max, but in actuality was only about five minutes, she jumped up off of the bed and hugged him and began to dance around the room.

“He’s ok, he’s ok, both of them are ok. That was Kyle; they’re here, in California. And they have Maria with them.”

”What, what about Michael? Where is he?” demanded Max.

“Relax Max, he’s in California too. Kyle said we should follow through with the plan and meet where you intended. We can make plans from there. But Max, you should know. Liz has some crazy idea about going back to Roswell,” said Isabelle with concern in her voice.

“Good,” said Max. “That’s my plan too.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:03 pm 

Part 23

Author's Note:
THe deck used in the reading is The Universal Rider Waite Deck, which is the same type of deck used in the reading in "Graduation."

Diane pulled the car up in front of Madam Vivienne’s house, and turns to the others.

“Why are we doing this again?” she asked.

“Because Madam Vivienne wanted to see us, and after everything we’ve been through, we can’t afford to ignore anything,” said Amy.

“Well, then let’s head in and get this over with,” said Nancy, opening the car door.

The three ladies walked up the stairs and entered the front door to Madam Vivienne’s house.

“Hello,” shouted Amy. “Madam Vivienne, are you hear?”

“Great, she’s not here,” said Diane, clearly uncomfortable with her surroundings. “Let’s just go to lunch.”

“Hello ladies,” said Madam Vivienne as she entered the room. “Thank you all very much for joining me here. I realize my request is very odd, but I have some information that may be of interest to you. Please won’t you all sit down?” she asked motioning toward the over stuffed sofa.

“I’m sorry Madam Vivienne,” said Diane. “But I don’t see how you could really have anything to tell us. I’m not sure I even believe in all this hocus pocus mumbo jumbo.”

“That’s fine, Mrs. Evans. You don’t have to believe,” said Madam Vivienne. “I’m not asking you to do that, I’m simply going to ask you to listen to what I have to say.”

“How did you know my name?” asked a shocked Diane.

“Well, I could try and play you and say the spirits told me, but I won’t. It’s simple really. I know Amy and Nancy from going to the small business owner meetings. I’ve seen your husband there as well. It was common sense really,” she said simply.

“Oh,” said Diane a bit deflated. She had been prepared for some ‘the spirits told me message.’

“Madam Vivienne, what is it you wanted to tell us?” questioned Nancy.

“Well, I had a dream last night and your daughter Maria was in it,” she said nodding to Amy. “And she was with that handsome young man of hers. I’m so glad he finally figured out that love makes us stronger. Anyhow, the dream wasn’t anything in particular, but when I woke up, I couldn’t shake the image of those two. So I sat down to do a tarot card reading. After I saw the cards, I knew I had to let you know.”

“Let us know what Madam Vivienne?” asked Amy. “So far, you haven’t told us anything yet.

“I’m getting to that, I’m getting to that,” said the psychic. “First, I want you to realize that what the cards tell me isn’t carved in stone. The future is ever changing, and any one event can change the outcome. Do you understand that?”

The three women nodded to show that they understood, and Madam Vivienne removed a silken cloth that was covering her coffee table. Underneath the cloth, were the tarot cards laid out in what looked like a nonsensical arrangement to the three women.

“This is the reading I did after I had that dream,” said Madam Vivienne. “The first card I pulled was The Chariot. That means there are travels and journeys coming. Then I pulled The Tower. This is a card of destruction. Look at this card, the tower is collapsing. Basically it means the you know what is hitting the fan. Are you with me so far?”

The three women nodded while exchanging worried glances with each other.

“Ok, the next card I pulled was The Moon. That one means be careful; some one is stabbing you in the back. You should watch out for deceit from within. Someone you thought was close to you is really trying to hurt you. Then, and this is really strange, I pulled 3 kings. The King of Wands, The King of Cups and the King of Pentacles. To me this is symbolizing that three very strong men are working together, they are caring men and want to help. Does this make sense to you?”

“Yes, yes it does,” said Amy, thinking of Jim, Philip and Geoff. “We know who the three kings are.”

“Ok, now next to the King of Cups, I have Death, but before you get all freaked out, death doesn’t necessarily mean death, but change and transformation…moving on to a new level. Then I pulled the three corresponding queens to go with my kings. I’m guessing that’s you three, but I could be wrong.”

“No, your not wrong,” murmured Diane looking at the cards. The Three queens even resemble the three of them. “This is so eerie.”

“Ok, next we have the 7 of wands and the 5 of wands, both of which are cards of battle, fighting, and struggling. Next we have the 10 of swords, which I’m taking to mean this battle is going to have casualties of some type.”

The woman exchanged nervous glances and ask Madam Vivienne to continue.

“Ok, next we have The Wheel of Fortune, which tells me that things are happening in a cycle…what was bad will soon become good. Next to that we have Justice, and the World. What that’s telling me is that justice will be served, and those that deserve to be victorious will be victorious. Are you all still with me?”

“Well, yes, I guess so,” saidAmy, “But I don’t see what this has to do with us, really.”

“Well, here’s the thing. I wanted you to see this, and then I wanted to do a reading while you’re here if that’s acceptable to you.”

The women agreed and Madam Vivienne gathered up the cards and shuffled them carefully.

“Now, I’d like the three of you to each shuffle the deck. When you are done, please give it back to me,” instructed Madam Vivienne. “This isn’t normally how I work. Usually, the deck is only shuffled by myself, and the person I’m reading for, but nothing else about this situation seems normal, so I want the three of you shuffle the deck.”

Diane shuffled the cards and passed them to Amy, who shuffled and passed them to Nancy. After Nancy shuffled the cards, Madam Vivienne took the deck and spread them face down out on the table.

“Now I want each of you to draw one card and lay it face up,” said Madam Vivienne.

Nancy pulled the first card.

“Page of Pentacles,” she says placing the card down.

“Very interesting, a dark haired person of intellect,” comments Madam Vivienne.

“Liz,” breathed Nancy.

Amy pulled the next card and placed the Page of Cups next to the Page of Pentacles.

“A young woman of strong emotions, I’m thinking that’s your Maria,” said Madam Vivienne.

Nervously, Diane pulled a card and placed it on the table, revealing the Page of Wands.

“A person who is very dedicated to those she cares about, someone who is faithful and caring.”

“Isabelle,” said Diane with a sob.

“Now each of you pull one more card and place it next to the first,” instructed Madam Vivienne.

The three women pull the Knight of Pentacles, the Knight of Swords and the Knight of Cups respectively.

“Now, we have a Warrior Statesman here,” said Madam Vivienne pointing to the Knight of Pentacles, “A pure Warrior here, see how he’s charging in with his Sword drawn. And our third Knight is someone who is reflective and introspective, but isn’t going to back down from a fight.”

“Max, Michael and Kyle,” says Nancy quietly. “Madam Vivienne, what else do you see?”

Madam Vivienne takes the deck and pulls several more cards.

“Hm, the Moon again…deceit and danger from someone close. The Chariot, travel, and the 6 of Cups. That’s strange…it’s a card of looking back to happier times. It’s a card of childhood memories and places.”

“Did you say childhood places?” asked Diane fearfully.

“Yes, I did. Why?”

“Oh no, Jim was right,” said Amy with a look of horror on her face. “They’re coming home.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:04 pm 

Part 24

An exhausted Liz pulled the car into the almost deserted Disney Land parking lot. It was several hours before sunrise, and the park wouldn’t open for another several hours. Kyle and Maria were asleep in the backseat. Liz had woken Maria up every hour on the hour for the past 6 hours to make sure there were no lingering effects from the explosion. Liz grabbed a soda, and opened the last bag of chips, and settled in to wait. She was exhausted, but she wasn’t going to doze off and leave the others undefended.

“I wish I had gotten the alien ability to not need a lot of sleep,” she said through a muffled yawn. She rested her head against the window and tried to chew as quietly as possible. The salty taste of the chips burnt her tongue slightly, and she washed the taste away with a sip of soda. As she drank her soda, she became aware of an approaching vehicle. She quickly put the soda and chips down, and put her hand on the ignition. As the vehicle drew closer, she saw a motorcycle that looked slightly familiar. The driver circled the parking lot several times, getting a little closer with each pass. Liz opened the car door and stepped out, with one arm raised. The rider stopped the bike and pulled off his helmet.

“Liz? It’s me,” Michael called out.

Liz lowers her arm and crosses the parking lot smiling.

“Will you keep it down Michael, they’re asleep in there,” Liz cautioned, softly

“Yeah, well you should be to. Jesus, you look like hell Parker,” countered Michael, his voice mirroring the concern she saw in his eyes

“Well, I wasn’t going to leave us unprotected,” she replied simply. “And it’s Parker-Evans, and don’t you forget it!”

Once again, Michael was astounded at the lengths the woman in front of him would take to protect those she loved. He shook his head, marveling at her internal strength before he pulled her into his arms for a hug.

“Well, I’m not tired, so why don’t you get in the car, and I’ll sit watch for a while,” he said, releasing her from his grasp.

“I won’t say no to that. Do you want something to drink, I have a cherry coke in the car, and I bet you I can find a bottle of Tabasco sauce somewhere in there too,” said Liz, struggling not to yawn

“Well, I won’t say no to something to drink. How’s Maria doing Liz? Is she ok, really?” asked Michael.

“She’s fine Michael. I woke her up every hour on our way down here, and she could do the name, age, president thing, so I figured she was all set,” explained Liz. “Actually, she did screw up the president thing, but I just chalked that up to a complete and total lack of interest in current events. She’s been asleep for about 3 hours now. Kyle did most of the driving, and he’s wiped out, so I let him sleep as well.”

Michael climbed in behind the steering wheel, while Liz slid in on the passenger side. Liz dozed intermittently, but she wasn’t able to relax enough to get any real sleep. Finally, she gave up and grabbed the chips out of Michael’s hands and began to munch nervously.

“Are you going to give me back my Ruffles?” asked Michael in a dangerous voice, “Or do I have to blow you up?”

“Do your worst you alien freak,” she laughed. “I can blow you up right back.”

“Oh yeah,” Michael said, in defeat. “Well, will you at least share the chips then?”

Liz passed him the bag, and they ate in silence for a while. Finally, Michael turned to Liz.

“Ok, spill it Liz. What’s eating you?”

“I’m sick of this whole thing Michael. None of us have had a chance for a normal life, and look at poor Isabelle. The one person she is supposed to be able to trust with her life is looking like he is her biggest enemy. None of us should have to put up with that, and I decided that I’m not going to anymore. I’m sick of running.”

“So what are you going to do, give up and turn yourself in?” questioned the man next to her.

“No, I’m taking back my life. I’m going back to Roswell.”

“Liz, you are nuts, come on, think this through, you can’t.”

“She means it Guerin,” said a weary voice from the back seat. “She’s determined to ‘take back the night,’ or whatever and get herself killed in the process.”

Kyle sat up, careful not to disturb Maria, who was still sleeping deeply.

“God, she sure can hog up all the available space,” he said stretching. “You have my sympathies,” Kyle added, nodding at Michael.

“Thanks, just don’t ever let Maria hear you say that,” said Michael.

“I heard, I heard, Jesus, how is anybody supposed to get any sleep around here?” grouses Maria as she sits up. “Come here Space Boy and give me a hug,” she added, leaning over Kyle to get to Michael.

“Geez Maria, watch out will you,” said Kyle as he puts his hands over his crotch reflexively. “There may come a day when I actually need that you know.”

“Look,” said Liz. “I bet we’re all hungry, and the park doesn’t open for 3 more hours. So, unless one of you knows some trick to stretch half a bag of chips, and half a soda,” she paused as she sniffed the can, “loaded with Tabasco sauce between the four of us, I think we should go get some food.”

The other three agreed with Liz, and Michael started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:04 pm 

Part 25

“Hey Space Boy, pull in over there, that place looks pretty good,” said Maria from the passenger seat.

“Maria, it’s a dive, a hole in the wall,” snapped Michael.

“Exactly, those are the places with the best food, now pull in.”

Michael obligingly pulled into an empty parking space, and the four exited the car and surveyed the scene before they entered the diner.

“It looks ok to me,” said Kyle.

“You’re hungry Kyle, anything would look good to you right about now,” laughed Liz.

“Look, if we’re gonna eat, lets do it. This place is too much like Mayberry for me,” said Michael.

Liz opened the door to the diner, and looked around. The place seemed to be doing a booming business, except for the fact that there was nobody working. They walked across the sun filled room toward thee man working the register.

“Hi, can we have a table for 4 please?” she asked the elderly man.

“’Jes grab a seat anywhere,” he said motioning with his hand. “Don’t know how long it will be though, my grill man didn’t show up today, and my waitress jest up and quit this morning. Said the work was too hard. You youngsters today don’t know what hard work is. Me an Nellie been running this diner every day for the past fifty years.”

Liz looks at the others, an idea forming in her mind. She looks at the man behind the register. “Where’s Nellie today?” she asked softly.

“Why, she’d be working right now, if the doctor didn’t tell her to stay in bed. She’s been feeling a bit tired lately.”

“Well, I’ll tell you what, Mr.,?” she paused questioningly.

“Zeke, Zeke Mosley,” said the man.

“Well Mr. Mosley, today is your lucky day,” Liz said grabbing two aprons and order pads from behind the counter. She passed one to Maria, and the two girls started taking orders.

Michael sighed, and headed out to the grill and grabbed a spatula. Kyle looked around helplessly, unsure of how he could help.

“Don’t just stand there like a statue Buddha Boy,” snapped Maria as she walked past him on her way to the pick up window. “These table won’t bus themselves.”

“Hm, what? Oh yeah, right,” he said. He looked under the counter and grabbed a tray and started to clear tables.

As the morning progressed, the crowded restaurant started to quiet down, and the kids took the opportunity to sit at the counter and eat while they talked with Mr. Mosley. As they ate, he regaled them stories about the diner, and his beloved Nellie.

“So, what exactly did the doctors say Zeke?” asked Liz

“Well, they say it’s cancer, but I don’t believe ‘em. My Nellie is too strong a woman to be taken down by any disease. What do those doctors know anyhow? Nellie’s going to be just fine. She has to be,” he added brokenly.

Listening to the story, Kyle was touched by how much love this man beside him had for his wife. He jumped up off of the stool and turned to the others. “I’ll be right back,” he said, before walking out of the restaurant.

“So, tell me, why would a bunch of kids like you wanna help an old man like me?” asked Zeke.

“We like to help people,” said Liz with a smile. “Unfortunately, we can’t stay, in fact, we’ll need to be on our way shortly. Are you going to be able to manage ok without us?”

“Yep, my daughter and her husband offered to help, but they were out of town when Nellie took sick. When I told them what happened, they offered to cut their trip short, but I wouldn’t hear of it. But they should be here tomorrow.”

Liz was about to respond, when the screen door of the diner opened and slammed shut. Kyle ran back into the restaurant, a look of panic on his face.

“Our company is here again,” he whispered to the others.

“Damn it, how do they keep finding us?” demanded Michael as they prepared to exit out the back of the restaurant.

“You kids in trouble?” asked Zeke

“Um, kind of,” answered Maria.

“Did you do anything wrong?”

“No, not really,” said Liz. “It’s kind of complicated, but we didn’t do anything, I promise.”

“You jest set yourselves right back down, and don’t worry about anything then.”

Michael looked out the screen door, and recognized the two FBI agents he saw outside his bike shop walking into a store across the street. A young couple walked up to the restaurant and waited for Michael to move so they could enter. Michael pushed the door open and stepped back so they could come inside. The young woman entered first. She had long flowing black hair, which she wore in a casual windswept style. As she passed the others, she looked at Kyle and winked.

They take a seat, and Liz walked over to take their order. “May I help you?” she asked.

“We’ll have two cokes, and order of fries, and a bottle of Tabasco sauce,” the blond man answered.

Liz quickly covered her mouth with her hand to contain the scream that wants to burst out.

“How did you know we are here? Wait, you have to leave, the FBI is in town. They’ve been trailing us some how,” she whispered, trying to tamp down the panic she felt.

“We know they’re here, Liz, don’t worry. I’m never going to be separated from you again,” said Max.

“How did you find us?” she asked

“Kyle let us know you were here,” said Isabelle. “We were just turning down the street when he let us know about the FBI agents. We actually stayed in a hotel just around the corner from here,” she added. “And he’s right,” she nodded at Max. “We can’t get split up again. We need to stick together.”

“Come over to the counter, I want you both to meet someone,” she said. The three crossed the sunny room and went over to the counter. Max and Isabelle sat down, and Liz introduced them to Zeke.

“Hey Zeke,” she said softly. “I was kind of thinking, you haven’t been over to see Nellie all day. Why don’t you let our friends, Steve and Barbie here drive you over to take a peek and make sure she’s ok.”

Isabelle shot Liz a look that clearly said she was going to take care of her later for the Barbie thing.

“Please, won’t you Zeke? We would really like to meet her, and maybe there’s something we can do to help,” said Max.

Zeke looked cautiously at them. He was beginning to wonder if letting these kids help him was a good idea.

“Zeke, remember what I said about wanting to help?” Liz asked. “Well, please, that’s all we want to do, I promise.”

Zeke didn’t know why, but something about these kids made him want to trust them. He haltingly agreed to their plan. “But we ain’t gotta drive none, it’s just across the back alley.”

Maria and Michael quickly packed up some food for Nellie, and Max carried the bundle as they walked across the alley to the small house. Zeke entered first, and held the door, waiting for the others to join him inside.

“Nellie’s sleeping in there,” he said, pointing to a closed door off of the small living room.

Looking around, Isabelle saw that the small home was immaculate. She took the package of food from Max and turned to Zeke.

“Why don’t you take me to the kitchen, and we’ll get a tray fixed up for Nellie,” she said.

As the two walked to the kitchen, Isabelle thought about the relationship the elderly couple seemed to have. That’s how it’s supposed to be, she muses to herself. Loving each other for all time, not turning traitor at the first sign of trouble.

“Now tell me Zeke, does Nellie have any dishes she saves for special occasions?”

“Yep, we have us a nice set of china,” he said proudly. “Got it for her as a wedding present. But what would you want that for? We only use it on special occasions.”

“Well Zeke, I like to think that every day is a special occasion, and some days are even more special than others. Maybe today will be one of those days,” Isabelle said with a smile.

Isabelle quickly fixed a tray, and picked it up just as Max walked into the kitchen.

“Everything ok Steve?” she asked.

“Everything is perfect, just perfect,” Max said flashing a Tom Cruise grin.

“Zeke, why don’t you bring this into Nellie, and we’ll just head back to the diner,” said Isabelle. She leaned over and placed a kiss on his cheek and grabbed Max by the arm.

“Come on Steve, let’s give them some privacy,” she ordered.

“Sure thing Barbie, whatever you say,” he said, placing heavy emphasis on the name. “You lead, I’ll follow. It’s easier that way.”

“I’m glad you finally realized it,” said Isabelle, leading him outside. As soon as the exited the small home, Isabelle turned to Max.

“Great, so now we’re going to have some 70 year old woman running around with alien powers?” she asked.

“No, Liz and I figured that out a while ago. She and Kyle, and probably Valenti got powers because I was really emotionally vested in healing them. With strangers, I’m able to hold back a bit, and for some reason, the healing process is different. There are fewer flashes, there isn’t always a handprint, and we’ve never heard about anybody developing super powers after I healed them.”

They entered the restaurant through the back door and walked right into Michael’s open arms.

“Maxwell, it’s been too long. I was wrong, this splitting up was not a good idea.”

“No Michael, we needed to do it. It kept us safe longer, but now we have to start fighting back,” said Max.

“Oh God, you’ve been talking to your wife, haven’t you? She has some lame idea about going back to Roswell,” groaned Michael.

“She’s right, it’s the only way,” said Max, grabbing a fry from the warming tray. “We have to put an end to this. We haven’t done anything wrong, and we’re not going to run anymore. We have to take a stand, and we have to do it now, before it’s too late.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:05 pm 

Part 26

The teens made quick work of the lunch crowd. After the last straggler pulled out, they pulled two tables together to begin making plans.

“Every time we turn around, the FBI is on our backs,” said Liz. “I found a transmitter in my backpack, and one in Maria’s as well. We managed to get rid of those, and we searched everything we own. We don’t have any transmitters on us, yet there they are again,” she pointed to the FBI agents who were conducting a store to store search, looking for them.

“Well, whatever kind of transmitters they’re using, they can’t be that great if they aren’t giving them a precise location,” said Max.

“Well, the question is, how are they tailing us then?” asked Isabelle as she twisted her wedding ring and engagement rings nervously. “Max and I went through all of our stuff as well before we got to town last night, and there wasn’t anything resembling a transmitter.”

“Yes there is,” said Liz softly. “Right there,” she pointed to the rings Isabelle was twisting. “Jesse gave them back to you right before we left, didn’t he?”

“Yes, but he didn’t have time to…”

“Yeah, he did Isabelle. He had time to get us that first van, remember? A transmitter fitted into a ring was probably a piece of cake.”
“No, no, I refuse to believe it,” said Isabelle. But even as she insisted it couldn’t have happened, deep in her heart, she knew it was true. She stood up from the table and walked towards the restrooms.

Once inside the ladies room, Isabelle made a decision, and removed the rings from her finger. She walked over to the toilet, and dropped the rings in and flushed them down the drain.

“Good bye Jesse,” she whispered, and walked back out to the others.

Jus as Isabelle returned from the bathroom, the two FBI agents entered through the front door of the diner.

“Stevie honey?” she called across the room in a honeyed southern accent. “Where these nice people able to give you directions? I swear,” she added, turning to one of the FBI agents, “I just had to argue with him so much to stop and ask for directions after we got lost. Men are just so silly about asking for help.”

“We’re all set now sweetie, in fact, as soon as our order is ready, we can head out and take you to Hollywood so you can be discovered,” said Max. He walked across the small diner and placed his arm around Isabelle’s shoulder and tried to look like a lovesick puppy

“Excuse me, I’m Agent Feltcher, with the FBI,” said the man, flashing his identification, quickly. “Is Zeke Mosley, the owner, around anywhere?”

“Ah actually he’s,” began Kyle

“Right here Sir, now what can I get you. My nephew Frankie here is a wiz on the grill,” said Zeke pointing at Michael. “Jenny,” he said patting Liz on the shoulder, “Why don’t you show this nice Agent man to a table. I’m more than proud to do what I can to help our government, even if it is just providen them with a meal.”

“No, I’m fine thank you Mr. Mosley. You say that’s your nephew?” asked Agent Feltcher.

“Both them boys are, Frankie’s on the grill today, and Bobby here is working the register for me. They’re my great nephews actually, ain’t that right boys?”

“Sure is, Pops,” said Michael stepping into the kitchen. “Hey Kerri,” he yelled looking at Maria. “Can you give me a hand with this please.”

Maria slipped past the agents and went into the kitchen and stood next to Michael.

“I just wanted you nearby if this all blows up in our faces,” he whispered to her.

“Well, it’s not going to,” a voice from behind them says.

The two twisted around to see who managed to sneak up on them. Standing behind them was a woman in her 70’s wearing a faded pair of jeans, sneakers and a sweatshirt that said ‘Grandma’s Know Best’ on it.

“Don’t worry, Zeke ‘n I will take care of everything,” she said bustling out of the kitchen and into the dining area.

“Ah sir, we’re looking for some people, and we had a lead that they may have been seen here in town. Have you seen any of the people in these pictures,” said Feltcher, showing Zeke pictures of Liz, Isabelle, Michael and Max.

Zeke took the pictures and studied them intently, and passed them to Nellie, who had come to stand beside him.

“Well know, I think I may have seen ‘em,” said Zeke. “They do something wrong?”

”I’m not at liberty to divulge that information sir,” said Agent Feltcher. “But it’s safe to say that they are very dangerous, and they are wanted for a variety of crimes in another state.”

“Nellie, is these them kids that was in here today?” Zeke asked his wife.

“I think you are right Zeke,” said Nellie. Liz shot a panicked glance at the others as Nellie motioned to her. “Jenny, come here dear.”

Liz walked over to her and Nellie put her arm around her shoulder and gave a slight squeeze. “Isn’t this the group that was in first thing this morning. You remember, the ones you said left a lousy tip for you after sending their food back twice?”

Liz took the pictures and glanced at them. “You know what Grammy Nell, I think you’re right, only they sent their food back 3 times.” Liz rolled her eyes as she passed the pictures back to Agent Feltcher.

“Did they say where they were heading?” questioned Agent Feltcher anxiously.

“No, I’m sorry, not to me,” said Liz.

“Bobby, how about you, did you hear anything?”

“No Grammy Nell,” Kyle responded. “I didn’t, but you know me in the morning. I’m pretty much out of it until noon.”

“You youngsters should learn to keep your yaps shut and your ears open,” said Zeke. “I heard them plain as day mapping out a route to Canada. Don’t they teach you how to pay attention in school any more? Why I swear….”

“Yes, well, that’s fine, and thank you very much. You’ve been very helpful,” interrupted Agent Feltcher taking the pictures back. “If you remember any more, or see them again, please call this number,” he said handing them a business card. “Thank you very much.”

The others watched as Feltcher walked out the door to his partner who is waiting outside. The two talked for a minute and got into a car and took off down the street. After several minutes, Michael came back out from the kitchen, as Maria entered the restaurant from the front door.

“Maria, what were you doing out there?” asked Max

“Eavesdropping, of course,” she said matter of factly. “They bought it. I heard them call someone named Dr. Henderson and report that we were all on our way to Canada.

“Great,” said Max. “Let’s get out of here.”

“Now hold on there jest one cotton picken minute,” said Zeke sharply. “I think you owe us an explanation. He walked over to the door, and locked it as well as the heavy glass door that usually stood open. Flipping the open sign to closed, he turned to the kids. “Let’s have it.”

Listen, Zeke, we didn’t do anything to hurt anybody, despite what that FBI guy said,” said Liz.

“Well hell missy. I know that. Anyone can see you are good people, but why are they after you, and what did you do to my Nellie to make her feel so chipper?”

“Well, you see Zeke, we can’t tell you very much because that would put you in danger, and we don’t want that,” began Max. “But making Nellie feel better is one of special things we can do. We’re a little bit different, and they,” he said pointing in the direction the FBI took, “don’t like different very much at all.”

“You’re telling me that because you can help people, they want to lock you up. Boy, with a gift like that you’d think they’d do anything they can to befriend you.”

“Yeah,” said Max with a sad smile. “You’d kind of think that. Anyhow, it’s very important that you never let anybody know you saw us, for your safety as well as ours.”

“Pshaw kids, don’t you worry about that at all,” said Nellie. “Where are you headed to next?”

“We can’t tell you that Nellie, but I can promise you, it isn’t Canada,” says Liz with a laugh.

“Well, before you leave, you all are going to eat your fill, and I’m going to pack you some food for the road as well,” said Nellie.

“That is so nice of you,” said Maria. “Let me help you get stuff together. Hey Frankie, get that grill fired up.”

The others burst out laughing and sat down and began to make plans for their homecoming. In the kitchen, Zeke and Nellie, Michael and Maria cooked up a feast as well as assembled foods for them to take with them.

Liz walked up to Zeke while Isabelle Kyle and Max continue to plan.

“Zeke, can we ask one more favor of you, please?”

“Sure thing Jenny? I know Jenny’s not your real name, but maybe someday, Nellie ‘n me will get a card in the mail from Jenny, and we’ll know you are all right. Now what can an old man like me do for you.”

“Well, I’m going to dial a number on my cell phone, and when someone picks up, could you just read this to him?”

Zeke scans the note and begins to laugh. “Well there Jenny, if this is secret code, it works, cause it makes no sense to me.”

“Will you do it?” Liz asked, anxiously

“Sure thing sweetie,” said Zeke. You youngsters stayed here and helped me when you should have been running, and you gave me back my Nellie. I’ll do whatever I can to help you.”

Liz hugged him quickly and then dialed a number on her cell phone. After she makes sure the call has gone through she passed the phone to Zeke who read from the paper in his hand.

“Ah Hi, I’d like to order 6 cherry cokes, 3 with Tabasco sauce, 3 without, 4 orders of fries, and 2 Alien Lime Pies. That will be for pick up please. No, I can’t tell you anything more than that, goodbye.” He quickly passed the phone to Liz who puts ear to the receiver to hear her father shouting “Hello, hello, are you still there.” With tears in her eyes, she disconnected the call.

“Ok everyone,” she shouted. ”It’s done. We need to move.”

All conversation stopped, and without a word, the others began to mobilize to move out.

“Jest one more minute you youngsters. How are you planning on getting to where it is you are going?” asked Zeke.

“Well, we have two cars,” said Max.

“And a motorcycle,” added Kyle.

“Well, how about, you all come here with me for a minute.” He motioned for them to follow him out of the restaurant. They followed him across the alleyway and to a garage situated next to their house. Parked inside was an old, slightly rusted motor home.

“I know it’s big, but this way, you can all stay together,” said Zeke.

“And it runs great, even if it isn’t much to look at,” added Nellie

The six kids look at one another in silent communication and agreement.

“Look, we don’t want to put you in any more danger,” began Liz.

“Don’t worry about it, this is the most excitement we’ve had in years, and we were going to be getting a new motor home anyhow, so we won’t even miss this one,” replied Nellie.

“Then we’d love to,” said Liz.

They made quick work of loading up the motor home with all the food Nellie had prepared for them. Max asked them to dispose of the cars in any way they wanted, and Kyle begged them to store his motorcycle for him. Just before took off, Nellie and Zeke brought them back into the restaurant for a goodbye meal. When they were done eating, Zeke picked up the phone and placed a call.

“Hello, I’d like to speak with an Agent Feltcher please. Yes, I’ll hold.” He waited while the call is patched through to Feltcher’s cell phone.

“Hello, Agent Feltcher, this is Zeke Mosley. You were in my restaurant today asking ‘bout them kids today. Well, they came back looking for a bag they left. We didn’t have no bag, but Nellie and me, we stalled them as long as we could. They were rude as can be, but I kept my ears open like I was telling young Bobby he should do. Agent Feltcher, those kids said something about heading to South America. I jest thought you’d wanna know. Yes sir, I’ll keep my eyes open in case they show up again, but I don’t think they will. They were in one of them mini van things and it was packed to the gill, and they headed out towards the boarder. Yes sir, and thank you sir.”

“There,” said Zeke. “You kids should be all set, I think he fell for it. He sounded so excited, I thought he was gonna piss in his pants.”

“Zeke,” said Nellie as she swatted his arm playfully. “Now you kids take care and watch out,” she said hugging each on in turn. Pausing at Max, she gives him and extra special hug. “Thank you for saving me,” she whispered, and take care of Jenny, she’s a special girl.”

Max hugged her back, and climbed behind the wheel of the motor home, and the six teens set of on the journey back to Roswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:05 pm 

Part 27

Geoff Parker hung up the phone, and turned to Nancy, his face ashen. “Jim was right,” he whispered in her ear. “They’re coming home. Call the others, we need to get together.”

“Geoff, honey, how can you be sure it was them, did you recognize a voice?” asked Nancy, her voice quavering in fear.

“No, the person on the phone sounded like an old man, but I swear, I heard Max in the background talking. Besides, nobody in the world is going to phone in an order of 6 cherry cokes, 3 with Tabasco, 3 without. It has to be them, Nance, it has to be,” he whispered.

“Ok, I’ll start making some calls. Where are we going to meet?” Nancy asked, slipping her arms around his waist and holding him close. After a moment, she released her husband, and stepped back, more in control of her emotions.

“Geoff, we need a place to meet, any suggestions?” she asked.

“Yeah, right here at the restaurant, after we close for the night,” said Geoff, with a small grin.

”Oh Geoff, I don’t know. What if this place is bugged? They’ll here everything we say.”

“I’m counting on it,” Geoff said cryptically. He turned and went into his office and sat at the desk. He reached into a drawer and pulled out a stack of legal pads. He unwrapped them, and removed three of the pads, smiling to himself as he did so. Liz wasn’t the only super organized person in the family. He began to scribble furiously, making notes on one of the pads. When he finished, he copied what he had written onto the other two notebooks. He wrote feverishly, ignoring the computer that sat on the desk. He knew it would make his task much easier, but he had also become very cautious. It would be very easy for someone to hack into his computer and access his notes

On the phone, Nancy called Amy and Diane, to invite them to a small potluck at the restaurant after it closed. Though both women were perplexed by the idea of meeting at the CrashDown, they both agreed.
Later that evening, after the restaurant closed, Geoff got everything ready, legal pads, maps, pencils, and a large radio, and laid them out on the counter in the café.

Nancy was left with the task of making it look like they were really having a get together. She pushed several tables together and set some food out on the counter. A rapping on the glass alerted her to the fact that Jim and Amy were outside, and she walked across the room and unlocked the door of the café.

“Hi Jim, hi Amy, thanks for joining us on such short notice. We just felt so bad about everything that’s been going on with Sean, so we wanted to try and take your mind off of it for a while,” babbled Nancy.

Amy leaned over to hug her and whispered in her ear, “Real smooth Parker.”

Nancy hugged her friend back whispered, “I’m not cut out for all this subterfuge, what can I say.”

The two women burst out laughing as Philip and Diane Evans came to the door.

“Are you going to keep our guests standing at the door Nancy,” chided Geoff good-naturedly. “Come in and relax, tonight is about good music and good fun. Jim, you brought your guitar, excellent. We can serenade these three beautiful ladies tonight while Philip here looks on in envy.”

Geoff played his role of host to the hilt, taking jackets from people and getting drinks. As soon as everyone was sitting down with some food and drinks, he turned up the radio, very loud, and passed out the legal pads to the other couples. On the first page of each pad he had scribbled the cryptic message he received on the phone earlier in the day. The others quickly caught on to Geoff’s plan for communicating, and they alternately talked trivialities and scribbled messages to each other throughout the evening.

how can we plan if we don’t know when they are coming? Philip scribbled on his pad as Jim and Nancy danced to the music playing on the radio.

We have no choice, have to try. Need safe place for the to stay, scribbled Geoff on his pad

“Nancy,” Diane called over the music, motioning to Jim to come sit down. “Do you have that recipe for those meatballs you were telling me about?”

Jim sat down with the others as Nancy answered in a clear voice, “Oh, sure, no problem, I have it written down already for you. Here you go,” she said passing Diane an old receipt from the register. Jim grabbed a pencil and wrote Old cabins out by lake?

Perfect, wrote Philip. can you take care of it, or me?

I’ll do it wrote Jim. Geoff – food?

already packed Geoff wrote. He looked up to the windows and saw a face peering through the glass. He jumped up and crossed the floor and opened the door. On the other side was one of the FBI agents who had been haunting the restaurant every day.

“I’m sorry, we’re closed for a private party tonight,” he said pleasantly to the man.

“No chance of one Alien blast to go?” asked the agent in a wheedling voice.

Geoff turned to look at the others. It looked as though he was seeking their approval to help a customer, but in actuality, he was checking to se if Jim and Philip had hidden all their notes. Once he made sure that it was safe, he opened the door wider, and invited the agent in.

“Sure thing,” he said. “An Alien Blast won’t take long to whip up. Can I get you anything else to go with it?”

“No, that will be fine, said the agent as he surveyed the room quickly. “I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt your party,” he added, innocently. “A happy celebration?”

“Actually, I’m having problems with a nephew,” said Amy, “And my wonderful friends are just helping me to keep my mind off of it.”

“Great, and here I just went and brought it all back to the forefront. I’m sorry,” said the man as Geoff hands him his Alien Blast in a take out bag.

“Don’t worry about it,” said Amy ruefully. “Sean has been in trouble before, and will probably continue to get in trouble until the day he dies.”

The agent paid for his drink, and Geoff escorted him to the door. After he left, Geoff locked the door, and watched the agent walk into the darkness.

The agent dumped the drink into the nearest trash receptacle, and used his cell phone to check in.

“They check out, Dr. Henderson,” said the agent. “Just having a little party. I even managed to get in and take a look around. Nothing suspicious. I’ll check back with you if I think anything has changed.”

He disconnected his cell phone, unaware that he had just been handed a basket of red herrings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:06 pm 

Part 28

The motor home rolled towards Roswell with Kyle behind the wheel, and Michael riding shotgun. Max and the others were asleep in the back. As they drew closer to their destination, Kyle drove slower and slower.

“Have I mentioned how much I happen to hate this particular idea?” he asked Michael.

“Only about a million times since we crossed over the New Mexico state line,” answered Michael.

“Well, I just want to make sure we’re clear on the subject!” said Kyle.

“I don’t like it much either Valenti, but Max and Liz are right,” said Michael. “We can’t keep running forever. We don’t have the resources to do that. Maria should get the chance to pursue the music career she’s always dreamed of. I don’t want her giving that up because of me.”

“Look, I said I hated the idea, not that I disagreed with it,” said Kyle. “You’re right, we all have so much to live for, if we can just find a way out of this mess. The way I see it, by coming back, we’re going to do that. We’re either going to get the FBI off our backs forever, or we’re going to end up dead. Either way, our problems are solved.”

Michael looked at Kyle in astonishment. “Jesus Valenti, you’re making me look like a freaking cheer leader here.”

“What, I don’t think there’s any point in being unrealistic,” said Kyle, his voice pragmatic. “Chances are, one, or all of us are going to end up dead. I just don’t see where we have any choice.”

Unable to come up with an answer to that, Michael stared out the passenger window into the never-ending darkness of the desert. The flashing lights of a police vehicle coming up behind them drew his attention away from the lack of scenery.

“Uh hey, enlightened one, I think you are about to get pulled over,” he said.

“Shit, shit, shit,” Kyle swore. “Why are we getting pulled over? I wasn’t speeding, was I?”

“Maybe the fact you were driving slower than someone’s grandma has something to do with it!” said Michael.

Kyle eased the motor home over to the side of the road and rolled down the window, and got his license out.

“Yes officer, what seems to be the problem?” he asked, turning his head to look at the officer, only to realize it was his dad. Deciding to have a little bit of fun, he surreptitiously waved his hand over his ID to change the name.

“Well, you have a broken tail lamp, sir,” said Jim. “I’m afraid I’ll have to give you a ticket for that. My I see your license and registration please?”

Kyle passes him the license, suppressing a smile.

“Thank you very much Mr.,” Jim paused to look at the license, stopped and looked again. “Mr. Wallbanger. Sir, may I see your license as well?” he asked Michael.

Michael figured out what Kyle was up to and quickly changed the name on his license before passing it to Jim Valenti.

“Ok,” said Jim, reaching out to take the license. “Thank you very much, uh Dr. Love. I’ll be right back,” he said He quickly walked back to his patrol car and climbed inside.

“Do you think he got it?” whispered Michael.

“I know he did, he was so pissed after our trip to Las Vegas, remember? He confiscated all our ID’s. It took him about a month to calm down enough to laugh at the names you gave us,” Kyle whispered back.

Jim exited his patrol vehicle and came back to the motor home.

“I’m just going to let you off with a warning, Mr. Wallbanger, but please get that light taken care of right away,” Jim said, passing back the ID’s, a scrap of paper, and a key. I hope you enjoy your vacation, where are you headed anyhow?”

“Well, were pretty much on our way home,” said Kyle, reaching out to squeeze his father’s hand.

“Well, you all drive safe, then, and have a nice trip,” said Jim. He stepped away from the RV, touched his hand to his hat in a salute, and headed back to his patrol car.

Kyle started the RV, and pulled out on to the road. He passed Michael the paper and the key.

“What’s it say?” he asked.

“It’s directions to those old cabins out by the lake. I guess the key is to one of the cabins. Let’s go check it out,” said Michael.

“Go wake the others, and let them know we’re home,” Kyle said. His voice carried the sound of determination and conviction that it had lacked before. “It’s time to end this once and for all.”

Post subject:

Part 29

"What do you mean you saw your dad?” Maria shouted. “Why didn’t you wake us up? He could have told us about our parents!”

“Um, Maria, we’re supposed to be slipping quietly into town here,” said Michael. “I think a family reunion out here in the middle of the night may have drawn just a bit more attention than we want.”

“Besides, it’s not like I actually got to talk with him. He slipped us this note and key, that’s all,” snapped Kyle. He felt like he was going to explode. He was already stressed enough, sneaking back into town. Seeing his father made it even harder to cope.

Isabelle realized that Kyle was about to lay into Maria, big time. She decided now was a good time to avoid unpleasant confrontations. She whispered something to Maria, and the two girls moved to the back of the motor home. Once they were settled in the back Isabelle turned to Maria.

“Look, I know you want to see your mother Maria. We all want to see our parents, and we’re all really freaked about everything that’s going on. But now is not the time for one of our famous in-group squabbles. We need to stay focused on what we’re doing.”

”Yeah, but what are we really doing except for setting ourselves up to die? Not my ideal way to spend a day,” said Maria.

“I know,” agreed Isabelle. “It’s not what I want either, but I guess we don’t have a choice anymore. We have to end this so we can get on with our lives.”

“Isabelle, about Jesse?” Maria asked tentatively.

“I don’t want to talk about him ever again,” the taller girl said, resolutely. “And if I ever see him again, I will destroy him.”

Maria stared in shock at the anger in the other girl’s voice. Isabelle got up and climbed up into the overhead sleeping compartment and laid with her back to Maria, signaling an end to their conversation.

“Yep, I got that hint,” said Maria softly, as she climbed back to the front of the vehicle.

Kyle made a left turn onto a bumpy dirt track. A faded sign proclaimed their arrival at the “Lake Haven Camp Ground and Cabins, The Hidden Jewel of Roswell.”

“So, are we supposed to check in, or what?” asked Max, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Liz leaned up against him, feeling safe in the arms of her husband. He absentmindedly pressed a kiss down on the top of her head while he waited for an answer from Kyle.

“Well, the note my dad gave me just said to come here and it had a cabin number on it, I think. I couldn’t see it to well last night, it was dark.”

Michael pulled the crumpled note out of his pocket and scanned it quickly. Underneath the crudely drawn map was a scribbled message.

“What the hell does this say,” he says as he strained to read the message. Jesus Valenti, your father writes worse than I do.”

Kyle grabbed the note from Michael and squinted at it in the early morning light.

“It says we’re all checked in. He wrote it in a kind of shorthand that he uses. He kind of forgets about vowels when he’s writing something down in a hurry,” Kyle laughed.

“Well, why don’t we get to the cabin, get a few more hours sleep, and then grab some food. The stuff Zeke and Nellie gave us is about gone anyhow,” said Max.

“Max, I don’t know,” replied Liz. “Do you really think we should head into town already?”

“I don’t know anything anymore,” said Max rubbing his forehead wearily. “But I do know, I’m not letting you out of my site again. I was miserable while we were separated. I was so afraid something had happened to you.”

“Relax Max; I was fine. Kyle and I took good care of each other.”

“I know, and I will be eternally grateful that he was able to contact you. And meeting up with Michael the way you did was a stroke of pure dumb luck.”

“All that matters now is that we’re all together,” said Liz. “Nothing is going split us up again.”

Kyle stopped the motor home in front of cabin number 22, which was set back in a grove of trees, and hidden from view.

“After we unload, why don’t we put this land ark behind the cabin,” Michael suggested “Keep it out of sight.”

“Good thinking Michael,” said Max. “Come on, lets check out the accommodations.”

He stopped and laughed softly to himself while the others looked at him like was losing his mind.

“Did you ever think our parents would willingly allow all of us to sleep in a cabin together?” he asked, as he started to laugh a bit hysterically.

One by one, the others began to laugh at the irony of the situation. Finally, they were able to collect themselves enough to grab their belongings. Kyle inserted the key into the lock and opened the door. The living and cooking areas of the cabin consisted of one large space. There was a door leading to a bathroom. Max opened another door to reveal a miniscule bedroom. A ladder led up to a loft with two more sleeping areas. Boxes of non-perishable foods were sitting on the counters in the kitchen area. Maria ran to the refrigerator and opened it and pulled out two pies.

“I love our parents, do you know what these are?” she shouted. “A Men in Blackberry Pie and an Alien Lime Pie.”

Isabelle brushed past the others and began to systematically unpack the boxes of food and put things away. It was easy for everyone to see how upset she was. Cleaning and organizing were Isabelle’s personal coping mechanisms. She was slamming canned goods around when she found a package addressed to the “Czechoslovakian Embassy.” She began to laugh, hysterically. Tears streamed from her eyes as the others looked on, concerned about her behavior. She passed the package to Maria and Liz who had come to stand next to her. After they saw what was on the label, they too began to laugh, but it was a laughter tinged with sadness, because for them, Czechoslovakians, and Alex would be forever linked in their minds.

Liz opened the large envelope. Inside of it were smaller envelopes for each of them.

“There from our parents!” she shouted excitedly, recognizing the writing on her envelope. She passed an envelope to Kyle, and one to Maria, and two to Max and Isabelle. She stepped closer to Michael, who glared at her and said, “Don’t bother. We all know I don’t have anyone who would write to me anyhow.”

“Oh really,” she said, raising an eyebrow. “Then I wonder who wrote these?” She passed him 3 envelopes, and walked away to give him some privacy.

Post subject:

Part 30

Diane Evans put the last platter on the table and was just about to urge Philip to eat when the ringing doorbell interrupted her.

“I’ll get it sweetie, you start eating,” she said. She walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. Before she opened the door, she looked through the peephole and saw Jesse standing on the doorstep. They had discussed the possibility of him showing up again, in fact they were positive he’d show up again, but nothing had prepared her for seeing him on her steps. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door with a smile on her face.

“Jesse,” she cried hugging him. “It’s so wonderful to see you. When did you get back into town? Come in; come in, Philip’s in the kitchen. We were just about to eat. Are you hungry? Of course you are, come and have something to eat.”

Diane led Jesse into the house, aware that she was babbling, but she wasn’t able to stop herself.

“Philip,” she called. “Look who it is, Jesse’s here.” By now, they were standing in the Evans’ living room. Diane turned to her son-in-law and smiled at him. “How long can you stay Jesse? We’ve missed you so much,” she said, hugging him again.

Jesse laughed and flashed an engaging grin. “It’s great to be back Diane. Actually, I wanted some advice from Philip about a case I’m working on, so I decided to combine business with pleasure and come home and see you.”

The two continue walking into the kitchen where Philip was talking on a cell phone.

“Hang on a minute,” he said into the phone. “Steve, my son-in-law Jesse just walked in, can I get back to you on that? Great, I’ll talk to you later.”

Philip disconnected his call to Jim Valenti and walked across the room to shake hands with Jesse.

“Hey stranger, what brings you back to town?” He stopped, and arranged his features into a mask of concern. “Jesse, have you heard from Isabelle, is that why you’re here?”

“No Philip,” replied Jesse, a look of sorrow on his face. “Isabelle hasn’t contacted me since they left. The last time I saw her is when I gave her back her wedding and engagement rings. As to why I’m here, I’m here for several reasons, the first being; I’ve missed you and Diane. I also need some advice for a case I’m working on.”

“Jesse, sit down, can I get you something to eat?” Diane interrupted. “And where are your bags? Surely your staying with us while you’re here?”

“Actually, I’m staying with my mother. As you know, she didn’t take my moving back to Boston very well. I figure if I spend some time with her, it will help.”

“Jesse, you are such a good son, to your mother and to us,” said Diane. “I’m so glad we still have you.”

“I feel bad that I interrupted your meal,” says Jesse. “Philip, will it be ok if I stop by your office tomorrow? Say around 10:00?”

“Sure Jesse, that will be great, but are you sure you don’t want to stay and have something to eat?” asked Philip.

“No, really, I have to be going. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He stood up and shook Philip’s hand and pressed a kiss to Diane’s cheek. “I’m sure we’ll hear from Isabelle some time,” he said as Philip prepared to walk him to the door. “Have faith, she loves all of us too much to never contact us again.”

“I hope you are right Jesse,” said Philip as he followed Jesse to the front door. “Give your mother our love, and I’ll see you in the morning.”

Jesse stepped outside and walked down the street. Once he was out of site of the Evans house, he took out his cell phone.

“Henderson? Yeah, it’s Ramirez. I made contact with the parents. They assumed I was there because I heard from Isabelle. No, they haven’t made contact with any of them. Of course I’m sure. These people are so gullible. They never knew what was going on until it smacked them in the face. No, they have no idea of who I really am, and they won’t until right before they die. Yeah, I’ll take with you later.”

Jesse ended the call and continued walking down the street, whistling a cheerful tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:07 pm 

Part 31

Liz took her letter and climbed up into the loft. Before she opened her letters she opened a small window to air out the stuffy, dusty room. A small breeze caused the faded curtains to flutter, filling the air with dancing dust motes. Next, she decided to straighten the bed, smoothing the covers up over the pillows. Then she removed the bandana from her hair and began to dust the scarred furniture. In her heart, Liz knew all the cleaning was nothing but a delaying tactic, and sooner or later, she’d have to face the inevitable. She was afraid to read her letter. What if her parents didn’t’ want her back. What if they decided it wasn’t worth the risks to let her back into their lives. Liz stiffened her shoulders, sat on the bed and opened her envelope.

Darling Daughter,

We love you and miss you so much, but it isn’t safe for you here. We got your fax, and your other message saying you were coming back, but you mustn’t. There are agents all over town. They are following our movements. We want to urge you to go back on the road and get as far away from Roswell as you possibly can. We will do whatever we can to help you.

Please Liz, don’t come into town, it isn’t safe. We’ll get in touch with you somehow. We wish you had been able to tell us everything that happened to you, but we understand that it wasn’t your secret to share.

Please tell Max that we will never be able to thank him enough for saving you, our precious daughter. Take care of each other and stay safe.

Love,

Mom and Dad

Liz placed the letter on the bed beside her and just sat staring out the window. Max climbed up the ladder to the loft and crossed the room and sat next to her on the bed. He put his arms around her and squeezed her shoulders gently.

“What did they say?” he asked.

Wordlessly, she handed him the letter. When he finished reading, he hugged her closer to him.

“Liz, honey, what’s wrong then? They understand, and they’re not angry, so what is it?”

“Oh Max, I was so afraid they wouldn’t want me to come back, that they would be angry about everything that happened. But they’re not, they still love me.

“That’s what you were afraid of?” Max asked incredulously. “That they wouldn’t want you? Liz, how could you think that? Your parents love you, and they always will. You’re their daughter.”

”Well, you didn’t want to tell your parents about you,” she said, defensively. “You were afraid of what they would think, and that they wouldn’t love you, right?”

”Liz, that was different, you know that.”

“Yeah, tell me Max, how was it different?” Liz said, a hit of belligerence in her voice.

“We couldn’t tell them about us for their own safety. You know that,” said Max, defending the decision he and Isabelle had made so long ago.

“Right, and my parents could have told me they wanted me to stay away for the same reason,” said Liz.

“Liz, they’d never do that.”

“Right, just like your parents would never turn their backs on you and would do anything to protect you, but you couldn’t believe it until you were forced to tell them.”

Max opened his mouth to argue, but stopped, realizing that she was right.

“Well, now we both know just how great our parent are,” he laughed. “Do you want to read my letter?”

“You don’t mind?” she asked.

“Liz, you’re my wife. I love you, I’ve shared all my secrets with you, and I’m certainly not about to keep one letter from you. Come on, sit back here with me.

Max arranged the pillows on the bed up against the headboard. He scooted back against the pillows and held his arms open to his wife. Liz crawled up next to him and snuggled into the safe embrace of his arms and opened his letter and began to read.

Dear Max,

We love you son, never again doubt or question our love for you and your sister. We have worried about you so much since you left us. We know why you had to go, but that didn’t make it any easier for us to lose you. You told us your secrets, but even then, you tried so hard to protect us. You still kept so much from us. But Geoff Parker shared Liz’s journal with all of us. You have gone through so much dear Max, and kept so much of yourself a secret from us. We want you to realize that you never have to do that. We are your parents, and we love you unconditionally. Nothing will ever change that. You don’t have to go through this alone. You have Liz, Isabelle, Michael, Kyle and Maria by your side. But never forget that you also have us, and we would willingly die to protect you, our son.

We love you,

Mom and Dad

Liz lowered the letter and turned to Max, but the strain of the past few weeks had caught up with him, and he was asleep. She laid her head on his chest, safe and protected in the circle of his arms, and closed her eyes.

Isabelle climbed up the stairs to the loft, looking for her brother and sister-in-law. She spied them on the bed, and was about to call out when she realized they were asleep. She quietly opened a closet door and found a relatively clean blanket. She covered the sleeping couple and crept back down the ladder.

“Weren’t the up there?” asked Kyle.

“They fell asleep in each other’s arms,” said Isabelle softly. “Even asleep, Max was holding her and protecting her.” She looked wistfully up at the loft. Kyle stepped up to her and wrapped his arms around her.

“Isabelle, I know you’re hurting, and you feel betrayed. I’m your friend, I always have been, and I always will be. Don’t ever forget that,” he said.

“Thanks Kyle, that helps, more than you realize,” she whispered, pressing a soft kiss on his cheek. “Did you read your letter?”

“No, not yet,” he admitted.

“Why not?”

“I wanted to make sure you were ok,” he said simply.

“You know what Kyle,” Isabelle said as she, stepping back out of his embrace. “I think I’m going to be just fine. Now lets go read our letters.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:07 pm 

part 32

Dear Kyle,

You know me, and you know I’m not a man to show my emotions, but I’ve missed you Son, more than you will ever know. I always thought the worst day of my life was the day you got shot, and Max healed you, but I was wrong. The day you and the others drove out of town was by far the worst day I have ever experienced. I had to stand there and watch you leave, because I could no longer do my job as a father and protect you. It killed me to let you leave Kyle. The only reason I could stand there and let you go is because I know the others would lay down their lives for you, as you would for them.

Be safe Kyle, you know I’ll support you and the others with whatever you decide. Don’t take any undue risks. Stay away from town. I’ll come to you. There are agents all over the place. We got your warning about Jesse, and you’re right, it’s looking like he sold all of us out. I’ll be in touch Son,

Love,

Dad

Kyle finished his letter and ran his hand through his hair.

“I think I’ll start fixing dinner,” he said. He walked across the room and pulled a large pot. He filled it with water and placed it on the stove to heat for pasta. He rummaged through the food their parents had left until he located the jar of spaghetti sauce he had seen earlier. While he worked, he kept glancing over at Isabelle who sat on the decrepit old sofa, reading her letter. He watched her take her letter and fold it neatly and carefully return it to its envelope. She didn’t say anything at all when she joined him in the kitchen area. Instead, she walked over to a cabinet and began to rearrange the items she had placed in there a short time ago.

“You wanna talk about it?” he asked, rescuing the jar of spaghetti sauce from her grasp

“Yes, no, I, oh I don’t know Kyle,” she cried helplessly.

“You don’t know if you want to talk about it?” he asked in confusion.

“Oh, here, just read if for yourself,” she said passing him the envelope. He reached out and took the envelope and watched helplessly as she stormed out of the house.

“Man,” Kyle said out loud in an absentminded voice as he opened the envelope. “She really needs to cut down on her caffeine. He unfolded the letter and began to read.

Dearest Isabelle,

How we wish we could be with you now, or better still, have you here with us. Keeping your secret for so many years must have been so hard for you. We wish you could have shared it with us sooner, but understand why you could not.

But you dear child have an even larger burden you are dealing with, learning that your husband has betrayed you. Know that the fault lies with him, and not with you. Isabelle you are a wonderful and courageous woman, and you will find the love that you deserve to have.

Darling long to see you, but it isn’t safe for you to come to town. We beg you to sit tight, and we will contact you somehow. You and Max are so important to us Isabelle, and we will help you however we can.

We love you Isabelle,

Mom and Dad

Sighing, Kyle folded the letter up and placed it neatly back in the envelope. He turned back towards the stove and found that the pasta water was boiling rapidly. He tossed the letter on the counter, added salt, and pasta to the water, and began to stir.

A sleepy Max and Liz descended from the loft and walked into the kitchen.

“Hey Kyle, since when can you cook?” Liz questioned through an extremely large yawn.

“Since I decided that starving was not my ideal way to die. Did you guys get enough sleep?”

“Yeah, thanks, want us to take over dinner so you can get some rest?” asked Max.

“Nah, I’m all set,” said Kyle turning back to the stove to stir the pasta.

“Where is everybody Kyle?” Liz asked.

“Isabelle took off outside,” he answered. “And Michael and Maria are in the bedroom. I haven’t heard from them since you gave us those letters. Hey, did you read yours?”

Both Max and Liz nodded and Liz said, “Yeah, did you?”

“Both Iz and I did, and she gave me hers to read. It really got to her.”

“Well, what did it say?” Max asked in what the others call his ‘King’ voice.

“Get real Max, Isabelle’s my friend. I’m not going to betray a confidence!”

“It’s ok Kyle,” said Isabelle coming in from the outside. They can read it. There isn’t any room for secrets in our lives right now.”

“Are you ok Isabelle?” questioned Liz

“No, not really, but I will be, because I have a great brother and sister-in-law and three wonderful friends to help me,” said the older girl with a small smile.

Liz gave Isabelle a brief hug and the two turned to the mundane yet soothing task of locating the dishes and setting the table. Max quickly put together a salad from the fixings their parents brought while Kyle drained the pasta. In a few minutes, they had dinner on the table.

“Do you think we should get them?” asked Kyle pointing to the still closed bedroom door.

“I’ll just knock and see what happens,” said Liz. She walked over to the door, and knocked softly on the door.

“Michael, Maria, dinner’s ready.”

There was a soft scuffle behind the door, it opened a crack and Maria’s head popped out.

“Thanks Liz, we’ll be out in a bit, don’t wait for us.”

“Is everything ok in there?”

Maria tossed a concerned glance over her shoulder and then looked back at Liz.

“Yeah, Space Boy’s just a bit, um, overwhelmed at the outpouring of love and support he got from our parents.”

Liz smiled to show she understood and backed away from the door as Maria closed it softly. She walked back over to the table where the others were waiting and sat down.

“Mr. Guerin and Ms. DeLuca won’t be joining us for dinner,” she said in a formal voice. “They’ve requested that we begin without them. Now somebody pass the salad please.”

The other three laughed and they began to talk and eat.

“Can somebody pass the,” Isabelle started to ask, only to be interrupted by a knock at the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:08 pm 

Part 33

“Look Michael, much as I love you, we cannot stay locked in this tiny bedroom forever. The Alien Lime is out there,” Maria said half jokingly and half exasperated. “Look Space Boy, you just need to accept the fact that people love you and care about you. What’s so bad about that?”

“Maria, did you read those letters? I can’t believe what they said. Look, why don’t you go eat, I just want to be alone for a while,” Michael finished.

“Ok Space Boy,” she said leaning over to kiss him. “Just remember, I love you.”

Maria left the tiny bedroom and joined the others at the table, casting a last worried glance at the door before she sat down.

“How’s he doing?” asked Max.

“Not to good,” Maria answered reaching for the pasta. “I think the outpouring of love and acceptance was too much for his system to handle. Maybe you should go and talk to him Max. Hey, this is good, who made it?”

While Kyle explained that he was the chef of the day while Max left the table and crossed the room. He knocked on the door and waited a minute. When no answer was forthcoming, he used his powers ot unlock the door and went inside.

“Michael, you alright?”

“Get out Maxwell, I want to be alone.”

“Right,” said Max. “And there’s the problem Michael. You have people who love and care about you, and you don’t know how to deal with it.”

Wordlessly, Michael rolled over and passed Max three letters. Max took the top one, which was also the thickest and began to read.

Dear Michael,

You have always been like one of our own. We love you just as much as we do Max and Isabelle, but we’ve failed you son. We should have seen what was going on with Hank much sooner than we did. By the time we realized what was going on, it was too late. You no longer trusted us, or any other adults. We can’t change the past, but we can do something about it now.

We’ve enclosed some paperwork that we filed on your behalf. If it’s something you agree with Michael, please get the papers back to us somehow, we’ll take it from there.

Michael, we know in your other life, you were a general, and a warrior. You don’t have to fight alone anymore. You have Max and Isabelle and the others, and you have us Michael.

Love,

Mom and Dad

Max silently looked at the other papers that were with the letter. Skimming them, he realized that it was a petition to adopt Michael, and change his name to Michael Guerin-Evans.

“Michael, this is great,” said Max. “Isabelle and I always felt you were our brother. Legalities don’t matter, but this is kind of cool.”

“Read the other ones,” said Michael, his voice muffled by pillow in which his face was buried.

Dear Michael,

Thank you Michael for watching over my daughter! She loves you so much, and so do I. You are so important to both of us. I was so afraid when Maria left, and the only thing that kept me sane was knowing she was with you, and that you had each other.

Michael, if and when the time comes that you and Maria are able to come home, know that you will always have a home with me. You will always be welcomed in my home, as you are in my heart.

Love,

Amy

A second paper was attached to Amy’s letter and Max silently read that one as well.

Dear Michael,

I know you and I haven’t always seen eye to eye, especially at first. You are a strong man Michael Guerin, and I am proud to call you my friend. I’ve watched you grow and change these last few years. I’ve seen you change from an arrogant boy with a chip on his shoulder to a strong resourceful man. I’m as proud of you as I am of Kyle. You have both grown into men a father can be proud of. You will always have a place in our home Michael, if ever you need it.

Jim

“Michael, I don’t get it, what’s so bad about all of this?” asked Max. “It’s a lot to absorb, but you should be happy, not upset about this.

“You don’t get it, do you Maxwell,” said Michael angrily as he rolled over on the bed. “All my life, I’ve had to fight for everything, and I mean everything. Suddenly, I have all these people offering me everything I’ve ever wanted. I don’t know how to cope with that. Did you read all those letters yet? Your parents want to adopt me. Valenti, and Maria’s mom both want me to move in with them, and so do the Parkers. I don’t know how to cope with that!”

“Well, I missed the one from the Parker’s” says Max with a grin. “So would that make you my brother as well as my brother-in-law?”

“Asshole,” said Michael, taking a playful swing at Max.

“Jack ass,” quipped Max as he dodged the swing.

The two began to scuffle and spar playfully until they became aware of the sound of someone knocking on the front door of the cabin.

Post subject:

Part 34

As one, Max and Michael ran from the bedroom towards the front door of the cabin. Across the room, Liz, Isabelle, and Kyle were facing the door with hands raised. Maria looked at them, and at Max and Michael both poised to attack.

“This is so weird, what are you going to do, blast a pizza delivery boy?”

“Maria, we don’t know who it is,” said Michael.

She shot him a ‘no d’uh’ look and walked to the door.

“No fooling Space Boy, and you’re not going to know who it is until you open the door. Maria opened the door, and found one of the tow tuck drivers from the garage where Kyle used to work.

“Hi,” can I help you?” she asked pleasantly.

“Hi,” the kid stuttered in a nervous voice. “Sheriff Valenti asked us to tow your car back to you after we replaced the water pump ma’am. If you could just sign this please, I’ll unhitch the car and head back to town.”

Maria took the paperwork he proffers and scanned it quickly. She made note of the owners name and signed the same name in the space provided.

“Here you go handsome, and thanks so much for all the extra trouble,” she said, shooting him a wink.

The boy blushed and began to mumble, “No problem ma’am, thank you very much. I’ll just leave the keys in it if that’s ok?”

“Sure thing, and you have a great day,” Maria said as she closes the door on his back.

“Way to go guys,” she said turning back to the others. You really did almost blow up the delivery guy.”

“Maria, you were great,” said Liz. “Lets face it we’ve become so used to mistrusting everybody and looking at everything with suspicion. But we’re home now, and we aren’t alone anymore. Now, we have a car. Is anybody interested in taking a ride?”

“Liz, where do you want to take a ride to?” Max asked with a grin on his face.

“Oh, I’m not sure. Maria, do you have any ideas?”

Maria pretended to think about it for a minute. “Well, let me see. I bet there is a really cute alien themed store that I could check out. Michael, what about you?”

“Gee, I don’t know, so many decisions, so many options. Yeah, I think the alien themed store may be a good idea, but I’m also looking for a lawyer’s office. I have some paperwork I need to take care of. Maxwell, would you or Isabelle know of any good lawyers in town?”

“I don’t know, Isabelle, do you know of any lawyers in town?” Max replied

“I may,” she mused. “Kyle, what about you, is there anything in particular you want to do in town?”

“Well, I’ve always had a keen interest in law enforcement. Do you think perhaps they’d give me a tour of the sheriff’s office?”

At that, the group burst out laughing. The thought of Kyle with an interest in law enforcement was too absurd. They made quick work of cleaning up the leftover food and changing their appearances.

“So, do you think my mom will recognize me as a redhead?” asked Maria.

“Maria, you went through so many different style sand colors before we left, I think your mother would recognize you with a purple Mohawk,” Liz said with a grin.

“Let’s go over the plan one more time,” said Max. “Don’t do anything overt. No running up and yelling mom and major hug fests. No showing your real appearance, and above all, don’t draw attention to yourselves.”

“Jesus Max,” said Isabelle. “We know all this. We have been living this whole adventure right along with you.”

“I know, I know, I’m just nervous,” he admitted.

“We all are Max, now shut up, stop being king, and get out to the car,” said Kyle, pushing Max towards the door.

All laughter stopped when they saw the car Jim provided for them. “A Buick Roadmaster station wagon,” said Michael. “That’s a grandma car. I can’t ride in that.”

“Well Space Boy, you can just hang out here. I don’t care what kind of car it is, as long as it takes me where I want to go,” said Maria, climbing into the back seat. “Now shut up and get in, or go inside, but don’t make me wait any longer.

Grumbling all the way, Michael climbed into the backseat and Maria snuggled up next to him. Isabelle climbed in next, and Kyle, and Max and Liz sat in the front.

“Next stop Roswell,” said Max, starting the car. He shifted into drive, and they drove towards Roswell, the one place they never thought they’d see again.

After a short trip, they arrived in the heart of the city. Max pulled the car into the municipal lot located behind city hall. The group exited the car and looked at each other in nervous anticipation. The cool evening air enveloped them and they shivered as much from that as they did from their fear.

“Ok, we meet back here in two hours,” said Max.

“Max, two hours, that isn’t very much time,” Isabelle complained.

“Two hours Isabelle, I know it’s not very long, but if we can get rid of the Special Unit once and for all, we’ll never have to leave again,” Max said, hugging his sister.

The group broke up, and Michael and Maria began walking towards the store owned by Maria’s mother. Kyle went in the opposite direction towards the Sheriff’s Office, and Max and Isabelle decided to walk with Liz over to the CrashDown before continuing to the residential area where their parents lived.

Outside the restaurant, Liz took a deep breath and put her hand on the door, but didn’t push it open.

“We can come in with you if you want,” Max offered. “You don’t have to do this alone, you don’t have to do anything alone. I’ll always be with you.”

Isabelle rolled her eyes at the sentiment, but placed a reassuring hand on Liz’s arm.

“He’s right, we’re family now, let’s go in together.”

“Well,” said Liz, peering inside the restaurant, “Since I see your parents sitting in a booth eating ice cream, I’m guessing your gonna want to come with me, no matter what.”

“Mom and dad are in there?” whispered Isabelle. “Max, I’m scared.”

“Don’t be,” her brother said. “Mom and dad love us. Come on, we can do this.”

“That’s right, we can do it together,” said Liz. She pushed open the door of the restaurant and walked in, ready to face whatever came her way.

Post subject:

Part 35

Max, Isabelle and Liz sad down in a booth, directly behind Max’s parents, and eavesdropped shamelessly on their conversation.

“I don’t know why Jim gave them a car to use,” said Diane. “We don’t want them coming to town, it’s too dangerous.”

“Relax Honey. According to Jim, all they have is that big RV they picked up somewhere. The need something smaller in case they need to make a short trip somewhere. They’re not foolish kids, they aren’t going to take any risks,” Philip said, trying to sooth his wife.

Max and Isabelle shot guilty looks at each other and at Liz who whispered, “Relax, we know what we’re doing, remember?”

“Look those stupid FBI agents are still here,” said Diane “Are they ever going to leave?”

“May I take your order?” asked the unfamiliar waitress, coming up to the table.

“Yeah, can we have 2 large orders of fries,” asked Max, “And I’ll have a cherry coke.”

“I’ll have a tossed salad, with the honey mustard vinaigrette on the side, and a cherry coke as well please,” added Isabelle.

“I’ll just have a coke,” said Liz. The waitress marked their orders on her pad and moved away. In a matter of minutes, the waitress was back, placing their orders in front of them.

“Anything else?” she asked, and in the same breathe she answered her own question with a “No? Great,” before she turned and walked away.

“Great,” pouted Isabelle, “What am I supposed to do with this salad dressing? I can’t eat it like this.”

Liz whispered something to Max, and he turned around to his parent’s booth. “Excuse me, do you have any Tabasco sauce we can borrow?” he asked his mother.

“What? Oh sure, here,” said Diane, absentmindedly. She passed the bottle to her son without even realizing who he was. Max and Isabelle loaded their sodas with the sauce and Isabelle also poured it into her salad dressing. When they were done, Max tapped his mother on the shoulder and handed it back. As he did, he whispered “Thanks Mom,” and turned back to his food.

Isabelle watched her mother’s back stiffen as she realized what Max said. Diane turned in the booth and looks at the three of them, and Isabelle gave her mother a small wave before quickly looking down at her salad to hide the tears in her eyes.

“Philip, I’ll be right back, I forgot I had something I needed to tell Nancy,” Diane said in a tremulous voice. She walked across the restaurant, and stepped behind the counter, took Nancy by the hand and pulled her out back.

“Nancy, sweetie, first promise me you’ll stay calm, because I’m ready to scream, and one of us needs to be sane,” Diane said.

“Ok Diane, I promise, now what’s wrong? Is it Jesse again?”

“Look at the booth next to Philip and me. The one with the three kids in it.”

“Ok, I see them. What’s wrong, are they talking about skipping out without paying or something?” Nancy asked, still confused at the apprehension her friend was displaying.

“Nancy, that’s Max and Isabelle, and I’m guessing the other girl is Liz,” said Diane, clutching her Nancy’s hand tightly.

Nancy’s face turned white with shock as she looked out into the restaurant. Composing herself, she walked back out into the restaurant and stopped the waitress who served Liz and the others and asked her for their check. She approached the table and placed the check face down in front of Liz.

“I understand there was some dissatisfaction with your meal tonight,” she said in a quavering voice. “We at the CrashDown care about our customers, so please accept the meal at no charge to yourselves.”

Liz smiled at her mother in understanding. “Thank you, that’s very considerate of you,” she said. “Do um, do you have a restroom here?”

“Ah, yes, just through that door over there,” said Nancy pointing towards the back storage area. “We’re remodeling the main restrooms, but please feel free to use the employee rest room.”

“Thank you,” said Liz. She stood up and started to cross the floor. She stopped suddenly and looked back at her mother, and then at the table where the two FBI agents were sitting. “That’s just through that door then?” she questioned, one eye still on the FBI agents.

“Yes, come on, I’ll show you,” said Nancy as soon as she was certain that the agents weren’t paying any attention to them

“Actually, I think I’ll join you,” said Isabelle, rising from the table.

Behind him, Max heard his father laugh. “What is it about these women having to do everything as a group?” Philip asked, conversationally.

Max turned to his dad with a smile. “I don’t know, you’d think they were going of to discover an some strange unknown alien world or something.”

”So, are you kids new in town, or just passing through?” Philip asked.

“Well, actually, we’re thinking of settling down here. It looks like a nice place to live.”

“Yeah it is,” said Philip. “It’s a really nice place to raise a family.” “Hey Geoff, do you have a minute,” he shouted across the restaurant.

“Sure Philip,” said Geoff Parker coming over to the booth wiping his hands on a towel. “Is anything wrong?”

“No, no, nothing at all, I was just talking to this young man here, and he was saying how he and his wife might be settling down here in Roswell. Do you know if that apartment over on Beech is still available?”

“I’m not sure Philip, but I can probably find out,” said a very puzzled and confused Geoff.

“Oh, excuse me, Geoff Parker this is,” Philip paused for a moment and then continues. “I’m sorry son I didn’t catch your name.”

Max looks at both men and sticks out his hand. “I’m Alex, Alex Whitman, nice to meet you Mr. Parker.”

“Nice to meet you Alex,” says Geoff shaking Max’s hand. “I hope you chose to settle down in Roswell, it’s a nice town. I’ll tell you what; I’ll go make a phone call about that apartment for you. He started to head back toward the counter, stopped and then turns around. “What did you say your name was again?”

“Alex Whitman,” Max said with a grin.

“Are you here alone Alex?” Geoff asked, his expression reflecting both fear and excitement

“No, actually, my wife and sister are out back using the rest room. I’m afraid I could be here all night waiting for them.”

“Oh, well, you know how it is with those women when they get together,” Geoff said, laughing hollowly. “I’ll just go make that phone call,” he added, hurrying across the room.

Once out back, he paused for a moment to make sure nobody had followed them. He saw Diane Evans sitting on a dilapidated old sofa talking to a stunning brunette.

“Where?” he gasped and Diane points to the storeroom. He pushed open the door, and a petite curly haired blond throws herself into his arms and whispered “Daddy.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:09 pm 

Part 36

Kyle Valenti walked up the stairs of the Roswell Sheriff’s department. Outside the door, he paused, took a deep breath and pulled open the door. Once inside, he looked around assailed by memories. In the distance, he heard the sounds of typing, and visions of his father, hunched over a typewriter filled his mind.

“Can I help you?” a voice asked from behind. Kyle turned around to find Sheriff Hanson standing behind him.

“Oh sure, great, Hi,” he said. “I’m actually looking for a friend of my dad’s, he’s a deputy here in Roswell. My name is Jerry, Jerry McGuire.”

“Well Jerry, who are you looking for?” asked Hanson.

“A Jim Valenti,” answered Kyle. “He and my dad are friends, they go way back, and since I was going to be passing through here, Dad asked if I could stop by and leave some stuff off with him.”

“Well, Jerry, you’re in luck. Jim’s on rounds, but his shift is just about over. You can wait here if you like.”

The last thing Kyle wanted to do was spend time in any law enforcement establishment, even if it was the Roswell Sheriff’s Department. “Well, I drove straight through dinner, and I am getting pretty hungry. Is there any place around here to grab something to eat?” Kyle asked.

“As a matter of fact, Jim usually heads to the CrashDown for a bite to eat before he heads home. If you want to head over there, I can tell him you’re waiting for him,” Hanson offered.

“That would be great,” said Kyle. “Is this place within walking distance, and more importantly, is the food any good?”

“It’s got he best food in town, and, it’s just a couple of blocks down, on your left.”

“Great, and thanks again, Sheriff,” Kyle paused and made a big show of looking at the man’s nametag. “Hanson. I appreciate all your help.”

Kyle turned and headed back out the door and started walking towards the CrashDown. Since he had some time to kill, he decided to walk over to Maria’s mother’s shop. As Kyle walked around town, Jim pulled into the Sheriff’s Department parking lot and went inside to log out for the night. He made quick work of his paperwork and headed toward the door. He was exiting the building, when he heard Hanson calling his name.

“Yeah Hanson, what’s up?” he asked.

“Someone was here looking for you tonight, the son of a friend.”

“Oh yeah,” said Jim, looking unconcerned. “What’d he say?”

“Said his name was Jerry,” Hanson paused, unable to remember the last name of Jim’s visitor.

“McGuire,” said Valenti, thinking of Kyle’s favorite movie.

“Yeah, that’s it. Jerry McGuire. Anyhow, he was hungry, so I sent him over to the CrashDown, and told him you’d meet him there.”

“Thanks Hanson, I appreciate that,” said Jim as he prepared to leave. Stopping suddenly, he turned to Hanson. “What does he look like? I haven’t seen this kid since he was like 10 years old.”

“Nice looking kid, blond hair, kind of spiked, not too tall, broad shoulders. Looks like he could have played football.”

“Not football,” Jim said softly. “Wrestling. Okay, thanks Hanson, I’ll see you later.” Jim exited the building, trying not to hurry, and made his way to his vehicle and drove over to the CrashDown. He walked inside, and looked around, but didn’t see anybody matching the description that Hanson had given him. Philip and Diane Evans saw him standing there and waved him over to where they were sitting, inviting him to join them.

“Sure, just for a minute though, I’m expecting someone,” he said, sliding into the booth next to Diane.

“We thought you might be,” said Philip, subtly motioning to the next booth. Jim excused himself on the pretext of saying hello to Geoff. On his way back to the Evans’ booth, he checked out the occupants in the booth behind them. He met the young man’s eyes, and knew in an instant that it was Max. Nodding imperceptibly, he sat back down and whispered “Max, Isabelle and Liz?” Philip smiled and nodded. “Amy have company too?” he asked, and again Philip nodded.

The bell over the door of the CrashDown ran and Kyle walked in. He spied his father sitting with the Evans’, and hesitated, unsure of how to approach him. Jim however stood up and shouted, “Jerry, Jerry McGuire, your dad said you’d be coming through town. Thanks for meeting me here.”

Kyle approached his dad cautiously, his eyes sliding over to see the two FBI agents sitting in the corner. Shit, he thought to himself. Don’t they teach those guys anything in agent school? They are too obvious for words.

Reaching his father, he stuck out his hand and said, “Deputy Valenti, great to see you again. My dad sent some pictures and things for you. I have them out in my car. I only have about an hour, before I head out to L.A., so if you want, we can go get them now.”

“Sure, sure, that sounds great,” Jim said clapping him on the shoulder as the two walked out of the restaurant. “How’s your mom doing?”

Once outside, they drop all pretenses, and Jim turned to Kyle as they walked down the street.

“You shouldn’t have come to town,” he said, fury in his voice.

“Yeah, but you knew we were going to, didn’t you. That’s why you gave us the car.”

“You’re right, I suppose, but Jesus Kyle, did you know,”

“That there are to agents sitting in the corner booth at the CrashDown?” Kyle interrupted. “Yeah, I saw them.”

“Oh,” said Jim, his anger deflected slightly. As they walked down the street, he noticed a woman walking towards them. As she drew closer, he saw that it was Amy DeLucca, and she was trying very hard to contain her excitement. When she reached them, she grabbed Jim’s hand and grinned uncontrollably.

“Don’t even say it,” Jim said. “I know exactly what you want to say!”

Amy finally noticed the young man standing next to Jim and she reached over and squeezed his hand too. Kyle smiled at her and told her that he had stopped by the store, but when he saw what was going on, he figured they deserved some privacy. Amy smiled gratefully and turns to Jim.

“Do you know where Philip is?” she asked. I need to see him for a minute.

“He’s over at the CrashDown,” contributed Jim.

“Is it very crowded?”

“Well, there are three out of towners,” Jim said meaningfully, “And a couple of regulars in the back booth.”

“Great, thanks Jim,” she said kissing him on the cheek, and smiling at Kyle before she walked off.

“Hmmm,” said Kyle. “I like the secret code you guys have worked up. Now tell me, I got the out of towners, and the regulars in the back booth, but what exactly does the kiss signify.”

“Shut up,” Jim said as he playfully cuffed his son. “Come on, your hour’s about up. I’ll walk back to the car with you. You may want to let the others know that you have had an addition to the blast em club.”

“No shit, really?” Kyle asked, incredulously. “That was quick. I wonder why?”

“I don’t know, I’m guessing that my age may have influenced the changing process. Because I’m older, it happened faster.”

“Well, hey, that’s cool, like son, like father I guess,” Kyle joked.

Back at the CrashDown, Amy, was just opening the door, when 3 people walked out. As they pass by, the smallest of the three took her hand and squeezed it and smiled as she walks by. A bemused Amy walked in and sat down with Philip and Diane.

“Hi everyone,” she said. “Philip, I’m sorry to bring this to you out of the office, but you said this paperwork was important. It’s that information you needed regarding Sean. She passed the envelope full of papers to Philip, as Diane slipped her a note she scribbled on a napkin.

M,L,I just left she read. She reads it again, and realized the woman who squeezed her hand was her daughter’s best friend. She smiled at Diane and glanced over at Nancy who was wiping the same spot of counter over and over again.

“Philip,” she said. “Is that paperwork ok? Does it have the information you want?”

“Yeah Amy,” he said smiling. “It has everything we need.” He slides the paperwork over to Diane and she saw that Michael had signed the paperwork allowing them to adopt him. “I’d say this is just what we need.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:09 pm 

Part 37

Kyle sat alone, on the hood of the car, waiting for the others to arrive. As he waited, he went over his meeting with his father. Seeing his dad was great, but seeing that little kiss between his dad and Maria’s mom, now THAT was really interesting. It would be great if his dad really did hook up with Maria’s mom. He laughed out loud thinking of poor Amy, being married to a newbie alien, with a newbie alien stepson, and an alien hybrid for a son-in-law. The idea ticked his funny bone in a big way.

“What’s so funny Jerry?” questioned Max as he, Isabelle and Liz crossed the parking lot.

“Yeah Jerry, come on, ‘Show me the money!’” laughed Isabelle as she leaned against the hood of the car next to Kyle.

“Hey guys. Did you get a chance to talk with your parents?” Kyle asked

“Get reamed by them is more like it,” said Liz. “I got the don’t come into town again lecture in a big way.”

“Yeah, me too,” said Kyle. “I guess they think we don’t know how to play this game or something. But hey, I think someone replaced our parents with aliens or something. Dad was telling me about all the spy games they’ve been playing with the FBI. Oh, and speaking of my Dad, guess what. He has a case of the green glowies too!”

“Already?” asked Max. “That was pretty quick. It took Liz over a year to do that astral projection thing she did, and even longer before her real powers showed up. Damn, there is just so much we don’t know about all of this. He shouldn’t have to deal with this alone.”

“Max, relax,” said Liz, rubbing his shoulders. “He’s not alone, he’s got my parents and your parents.”

“Yeah, and Maria’s mom too,” Kyle said with a grin. He filled them in on the kiss, and they were all laughing at Amy playing mom to a houseful of aliens when Michael and Maria joined them.

“How did it go with your mom?” Liz asked, hugging her friend. “I saw her at the CrashDown when we were leaving, but I don’t think she recognized me.”

“Well, let’s see, after she got done yelling at me for keeping the last few years a secret, she hugged Michael and told him how much she loved him. Then she yelled at me for running away and not telling her where I was going. Then she hugged Michael and told him he’d always have a home with her. Then she yelled at me for coming to town and hugged Michael and thanked him for protecting me. Pretty much it went like I’d expected it too. Oh, and hey, Buddha Boy, my mom and your dad are dating.”

“Yeah, I kind of got that impression when she kissed him over by the CrashDown.”

“Look, let’s get back to the cabin,” said Max. “My dad said that he’s going fishing tomorrow with Kyle’s dad and Liz’s dad. Their plan is to fish in shifts and try and meet with us and plan strategy at the same time.”

They climbed into the car, and headed back towards town. They made several detours to make sure they weren’t being followed. When they were certain that they were safe, the headed directly for the cabins as quickly as possible.

Back at the now closed CrashDown, Geoff, Jim and Philip were making plans for their fishing excursion. Jesse stood outside, hidden in the in the shadows. He stared into the window for several minutes. Finally, he moved away from the café and pulled out his cell phone.

“Dr. Henderson, this is Jesse. I have news. They’re here; they came back to Roswell. Yes, sir, I’m certain it was them. I don’t know where they’re staying yet, but I’ll find out, I won’t fail you.”

He ends the call, and puts the phone away. He walked back over to the café window and took one last look at the three men inside before he walked away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:10 pm 

Part 38

The early morning sun peeked through the windows of the cabin. Michael was slouched in a faded, threadbare chair, watching an old black and white television. Max climbed down from the ladder sat down on a faded old sofa.

“Michael, what are we watching?”

“Hmm? Oh,” said Michael, his eyes barely leaving the screen. “It’s SpongeBob.”

“SpongeBob? What the hell is SpongeBob?” Max asked.

“SpongeBob SquarePants. It’s like it’s a metaphor for our lives,” explained Michael. “See SpongeBob is us, and Squidward is like the FBI Special Unit. No matter how hard Squidward tries to come down on SpongeBob, and rain on his parade, SpongeBob just keeps going on and on.”

“Rain on his parade? Michael, they live in the ocean, their parade is perpetually rained upon.”

“Maxwell,” sighed Michael. “Is there no poetry in your soul? You are missing the true essence of SpongeBob. You know, I just don’t get why they all think you’re the romantic one.”

Max just shook his head. “Well, anyhow, can we continue the cartoon fest later on? We really need to work on this plan some more. It’s good, and I think it will work, but there are a few weak areas.”

Michael gave the television one last regretful look, and reached to shut it off. “Ok, what did you have in mind?”

A short time later, the two had maps and diagrams spread out on the table. Liz climbed sleepily down the ladder and walked over to where Max and Michael were working. She listened quietly while Max talked.

“So we come around here, and take them down, but we still have to worry about any records they may have on us. We have to find them.”

“Why don’t we tail the two that have been staking out the CrashDown?” offered Michael. “It can’t be too hard. I mean obviously, they can’t be all that brilliant if our parents managed to fool them.”

Liz smiled at Michael’s use of the words our parents. Leaving them to finish strategizing she walked over to the kitchen area and began to prepare coffee. As the coffee breed, she took out a broiler pan and puts some bacon in the oven to cook. On top of the stove, she began to scramble eggs. In a matter of minutes, she had breakfast ready for everyone. Fixing three plates, she carried them over to Max and Michael.

“Mmm, that smells good,” said a yawning Maria as she emerged from the downstairs bedroom she and Michael claimed. “Is there anymore left?”

Liz pointed silently to the oven and continued to eat while she listened to Max and Michel. Maria fixed herself a plate and sat down next to Liz.

“Chica, is there any reason why you are playing the silent game today?” she asked as she prepared to take a bite of the crispy bacon.

Liz just shook her head and put a finger to her lips signaling Maria to be quiet. A few minutes later, Kyle and Isabelle emerged from the other bedroom up in the loft. After they climbed down the ladder leading to the loft, Maria met them in the kitchen area and helped them get their food. While they were there, she whispered to them to keep quite.

“Why?” whispered Isabelle.

“I don’t know. Liz just keeps shushing me and listening to Max and Michael. It’s weird. It’s kind of like she’s hypnotized or something. Was there enough room upstairs for the two of you?” she asked as an afterthought.

“Yeah,” said Kyle. “There other room had two beds in it, so we were all set. Actually, it worked out pretty good. After being separated for so long, I didn’t want to let Isabelle out of my sight again.”

Liz looked over from where she was sitting and glared at them, silently indicating that they should all just shut up.

“I think we should blow it up,” said Michael. “Just get them all inside, and blow it up.”

“Yeah, that will work, but we still have to worry about any leftover agents that may not be around,” said Max.

“I’m telling you Max, it’s our best chance. Besides, if we can take out most of them, whoever is left is going to be to scared to come after us again.”

“Michael, you do realize you are talking about the FBI, right? They will keep coming and coming until they hunt us down,” said Max. “I was wrong; we never should have come back here. We just should have kept running.”

“You are right about one thing Max, if it was the FBI, they would keep coming after us. But you’re wrong about everything else. It isn’t the FBI. It hasn’t been the FBI for a very long time I think,” said Liz, finally breaking her silence.

Everyone just stared at Liz, waiting to see what she’d say next.

“Well, who is it then, the CIA, the Air Force, what? Come on Liz; don’t clam up on us now. Who is it?” asked Max

“Well, I think when Tess crashed, that was the government trying to track her down, but I was there when she went to the air force base. She made sure they saw her before she blew everything up. As far as they were concerned, they had their alien. No, I think the people who have been tailing us ever since graduation work for Kivar. Tess led them right to us.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:10 pm 

Part 39

“Maxwell, I think your Crystal Ball here is cracked. Too much stress or something,” Michael said.

“No, think about it, what she said makes sense,” said Kyle. “These people that have been following us aren’t exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. And while we all love our parents very much, lets be realistic. There is no way in hell they could pull a fast one on the FBI.”

“So what, do you think, their skins then?” asked Michael. He stood up and began to pace nervously around the small room. You think Tess mind warped us in to believing she destroyed all the skins?”

“No, I don’t think so,” said Liz thoughtfully. “I never noticed any peeling of flaking skin, and I was pretty close and personal with one of those agents a couple of different times.”

“Yeah, so maybe he has some great moisturizer,” said Maria. “If they’re not skins, who are they?”

“Well, remember how Kivar came down here the last time. Right after Jesse and I got married?” asked Isabelle. “Maybe they are doing the same thing. Maybe that’s what they did to Jesse. Do you think that’s possible? Maybe he didn’t really betray us at all,” Isabelle looked hopefully at the others.

“Anything’s possible Isabelle,” said Kyle, placing a comforting arm on her shoulder. “What we have to do now, is try and figure out for sure exactly who or what they are. Anybody have any ideas?”

“Yeah, actually, I have one,” said Max. “Actually, it’s how Liz found out about me.”

Liz looked up at Max, images flashing through her mind. She remembered swabbing the slide in class with the pencil that Max had been chewing on. Looking into the microscope and seeing those cells felt like a sucker punch to her then. Max in the band room pointing up. That had been the start of it all, and it may be the very thing to start the end in motion.

“Liz took a saliva sample from my pencil when I left the room, and analyzed the cells. I was thinking we could get blood samples from the agents at the CrashDown and see what it tells us about them, but blood would be too hard to get, but if they are eating and drinking, saliva samples will be a piece of cake.”

“But Max,” said Liz softly. “If they are humans who are being possessed by Kivar’s people, the samples won’t show us anything.”

“Damn, what was I thinking? Max said, banging his fist on the coffee table in frustration. “I thought I was on to something. Damn it, I am just so sick of this!”

“Max, you need to calm down and focus here,” said Michael unexpectedly. “My job description includes flying off the handle and pounding tables, not yours. Look, so far, your idea is the only one we have, so I say we go for it. Anything we can find out about these guys, the better. If they have been taken over by aliens, you would think their families would have missing person info out on them. Kyle, get with your dad, tell him what’s up. He’ll be able to help us with that. Liz, do you think your dad can provide us with samples from the guys at the restaurant?”

“Yeah, and I bet you anything, they still have the microscope they got me as a graduation gift. I can check it out as soon as we get the samples,” said Liz.

“Great,” said Michael who had somehow gone into commander mode. “Kyle, why don’t you and Max get out there and do some fishing and hook up with the parents and clue them in?”

“Hey, what about Isabelle and me?” Maria pouted jokingly. “We’re more than just pretty faces you know.”

“Believe me, I have plans for you,” Michael said, leering at Maria.

“Oh please,” said Isabelle, rolling her eyes. “Spare me.”

“No, really, I do need the two of you to help me start mapping out every possible scenario we can think of, and start making plans for each and every contingency.”

“You want my help with that?” asked Maria doubtfully. “Come on Space Boy, you’re always saying I’m the most illogical person you’ve ever known.”

“You are,” Michael interjected.

“Then why do you want my help with something like this?”

“Because Maria, your insane thought process is exactly what we need. You come up with things that the rest of us will never consider.”

“I don’t know if I should feel honored or insulted,” Maria said.

“Both,” said Isabelle. “Michael, when and if this ever ends, remind me to have a long talk with you about how to compliment the woman you love.”

“Everything sounds great Michael,” said Max. “You managed to come up with the best plan in a short amount of time. I only have one change I’d like to make. Why don’t you go fishing with Kyle and explain to our dad what’s going on.”

Michael smiled at Max as the two walk to the door where Kyle is already waiting.

“That would be really cool Maxwell, thanks.”

“Listen,” Max said softly. “Can you do one thing for me? I don’t want Isabelle to know about this. See if my parents can get Jesse over to dinner and get a sample from him as well.”

“I will,” said Michael. “I was going to suggest the same thing to you too.”

“Yeah, well, I’d rather get a sample of his blood,” said Kyle. “With my fist.”

“Don’t worry,” said Michael as the two leave the cabin. “You may get your chance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next