Post subject: Heroes fic: Ameliorate (Teen) Claire fic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:20 am 

Title: Ameliorate
Author: Icalynn
Fandom: Heroes
Pairing/Character: Claire
Word Count: 5353
Rating: Teen
Summary: Claire seeks out Mohinder for help.
A/N: Written for the Support Stacie Fan Fic on Demand Author Auction. Winning bid by Majiklmoon. Takes place after Season 2, slight AU on events from S3…Sylar takes Claire's powers…but, Maya is sent away and Mohinder never finds the formula or injects himself. Thank you to brandinsbabe for helping me through the kinks! *hugs*

Claire glances once more at the address scribbled down on the back of her hand. She can't make out whether it's apartment 613 or 618, she had been in such a hurry that her penmanship shows it. She takes a deep breath and knocks on the door of apartment 613, praying that she has the right apartment. Please let it be him.

"Just a moment."

Claire lets out a sigh of relief as she recognizes Mohinder's voice. Thank god. She runs her hand through her tousled hair and stands up a bit straighter. The door swings open and Claire smiles brightly at him, "Hi!"

Mohinder blinks, staring at her, his mouth dropping open in shock. "Claire?"

"Can I come in?"

He stands at the door for a moment longer, obviously still processing that she's at his doorstop. "Um, yes, of course," he mumbles more to himself as he opens the door further, letting her in.

Claire walks in, dropping her bag to the side as she glances around the room. "Uh, interesting set up you got here."

Mohinder forces a smile as he follows her gaze. He shakes his head and turns his full attention to her. "Why are you here?"

There's a moment of silence, but before she can speak she spies a young girl peeking her head from around the corner.

"Who is it?" Molly questions, smiling as her gaze locks with Claire's. "Hi," she offers a small wave as she walks further into the room, trying to get a better look at Claire.

"Hi," she smiles. "I'm Claire—I don't believe we've met before."

"I’m Molly," she giggles, smiling brightly. "Are you special too?"

Claire blinks, slightly shocked at the question. "Um."

"Molly," Mohinder sighs. "What did we talk about?"

Molly shrugs, "Who doesn't come to our door that's not?"

Claire laughs at the perplexed look on Mohinder's face. "Yes," she answers focusing on Molly. "I am, in fact that's why I came to see Mohinder."

"See." She stressed, crossing her arms over her chest. "I was right."

Mohinder sighs, shaking his head. "I believe it's time for bed, you have school in the morning."

"But, we have a guest."

"Molly."

"Fine." She grumbles, rolling her eyes. She glances once more at Claire and waves good bye to her. "Bye…" she pauses, eyeing Claire's bag and looking back at Mohinder hopefully. "Is she staying the night—you are staying the night, Claire, aren't you?"

Claire shrugs. "It is getting late," she states, turning to Mohinder. "For tonight at least, would you mind if I stay? The couch will do just fine. I'll head over to the Petrelli's tomorrow—I just don't think I could face them at the moment. Besides, I spent all my cash on the cab ride here."

Mohinder studies her briefly, knowing he has no other choice in the matter if he wants to keep peace. "You're more than welcome to stay here for the night, your father will kill me if I let you wander—" he gulps as the thought suddenly occurs to him. "Does your father know that you're here?"

"He's being held by the Company you work for, so I doubt it…and my mom thinks I'm at a sleepover, so um no. And the Petrelli side of the family doesn't have a say in the matter."

Mohinder closes his eyes, shaking his head, not knowing what else to say. He looks over at Molly. "Bed, young lady. Now."

Molly offers him a bright smile, crossing over to Mohinder and hugging him. "Night."

"Night," he smiles, hugging her back and kissing the top of her head. "Sleep well."

"I will," she snorts as she pulls away and heads back to her bedroom.

"It was nice meeting you," Claire calls after her, before she turns her attention back to Mohinder. "Thanks."

"Not that you gave me much of a choice." He sighs, gesturing for her to take a seat. "Why are you here?"

Claire takes a seat and studies her nails briefly, suddenly not knowing where to begin. She takes a deep breath and sighs. "I thought you might be able to help me."

"I didn't think I was high on your list of people you wish to associate with, considering that I-"

"Killed my father?" She finishes for him, shaking her head. "But, that's not quite the case since he's alive and well. Thanks to my blood it seems…and that's one of the reasons I came tonight, I have so many questions and…well…Sylar took my powers."

Mohinder blinks, staring at her incredulously. "Sylar? When?" He gasps, his thoughts spinning. "How are you here? Why didn't he-"

"Kill me?" She quips. "He…he said that I was special and that he couldn't kill me even if he wanted to."

"That implies that he wouldn't have killed you."

"I know," Claire whispers.

"My god," Mohinder exhales sharply, his eyes going wide as he realizes the further implications. "He has your powers now, which means he's virtually unstoppable."

"Yeah." Claire worries her lower lip, wringing her hands together as Mohinder stares off to the side, his thoughts clearly on other things.

Mohinder studies her once more. "Are you alright?"

She reluctantly nods. "Yeah, sure."

"Claire."

"I'm still alive, he can't-"

"That's not exactly what I meant," he interjects and she stares at him.

"I'm fine." She insists, standing up, not wanting to tell him the truth. "Okay?"

Mohinder nods reluctantly, knowing that it's not the time to press her for her feelings. "Okay."

"Thank you."

"There are some blankets in the hall closet if you'd like," he offers softly. "And there is an assortment of pillows on the couch." He pauses glancing over the room. "Is there anything else I can get for you?"

"No," she smiles. "I'm good."

"Goodnight Claire." He smiles as he turns and leaves.

"Night," she whispers as she sits back down on the couch. She sighs, leaning back, letting herself finally take a moment to relax and unwind since her world crumbled around her.

~

The next morning, Claire feels drained. She washes up and dresses, trying to make herself a little more human. The rest of the apartment still seems to be half asleep, but she can't. Her mind still races of images of Sylar…she has to find out what's wrong with her.

Claire glances at the clock and grabs her cell phone. She winces as she notices that there are three missed calls from her mom. She hates that she had to deceive her, but this was the only way. Claire takes a deep breath and then leaves a message for her mom, not wanting to hear her disappointment for her leaving so suddenly. This is something she has to do. Please understand.

"Morning," Molly greets hers with a muffled yawn as she rounds the corner. "Sleep okay?"

Claire forces a smile to her face, "Yeah."

"Uh, huh," she purses her lips together. "Probably didn't sleep much—the sofa's lumpy."

Claire blinks laughing at her comment. "There's no getting past you, is there?"

Molly smiles, waving her hand toward the kitchen. "Cereal?"

"Sure," she nods, following Molly into the small kitchen and takes a seat. "I didn't know Mohinder had a daughter."

"He's my guardian and my hero," Molly explains softly. "The boogieman killed my parents."

"Oh." Claire gasps. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" her voice trails off and she wonders just who the boogieman is.

"It's okay," she replies with a slight shrug of her shoulders. "Guess it is kinda weird for me to be here, but Matt and Mohinder are my family now."

"Ah," Claire nods, not really understanding all the details, but she really doesn't care to know them all.

Molly pours them heaping bowls of some generic cereal she's never heard of. "Here you go." She smiles as she hands Claire her bowl. "Juice?"

"Nah, I'm good." Claire smiles as she takes a bite. "Mmmm." She winks and Molly giggles.

They drift off into silence as they eat their cereal, only looking up as Mohinder walks into the kitchen. "Morning."

"Morning," they reply between bites of their cereal.

"Molly," Mohinder begins as he rests his hand on her shoulder and squeezes lightly. "You don't want to be late for the bus," he prompts and she glances up at the clock and nods.

"Kay, bye!" She grins as she kisses Mohinder and runs out of the apartment, grabbing her pink book bag on the way out.

"She's cute."

Mohinder laughs, smiling fondly. He's silent for a moment before he turns his attention to Claire. "If you're done, we can head out to the lab."

Claire nods, pushing the bowl of cereal away from her. "Yeah, sure, let's get this over with."

~

Claire sits patiently as Mohinder readies his equipment. "What exactly are you going to do?"

"Run some routine lab work for now," Mohinder purses his lips, studying her. "Is there something I should be looking for?"

She shrugs. "I can't feel anything."

"Can't feel anything?" He repeats, his eyes widening ever so slightly. "Care to clarify-"

"What is there to clarify?" She snorts, shaking her head. "I don't feel pain." She grabs one of his needles and jabs it into her arm without flinching.

"My god," Mohinder exhales, staring at the needle protruding from her arm. "When did this manifest?"

"After." She states and before Mohinder can ask her to explain, she continues. "After Sylar sliced me open, I healed…Afterwards I was cleaning and I cut myself and I didn't feel it. And I should have felt it."

"I see," Mohinder muses as he takes the syringe from her arm and her skin heals instantly. "Can you feel anything?" He questions after a slight pause and Claire stares blankly at him.

"As in?"

"Textures," he begins as he turns and reaches for his messenger bag. "Is it all sensations or just pain that you can no longer feel."

"Oh," She glances down at her finger tips and wiggles her fingers. "I don't know."

Mohinder nods and pulls out a silk scarf from his bag. He hands it to Claire and she takes it, rubbing her fingers over it. "What do you feel?"

"It's smooth, silky."

"Hmmm," Mohinder glances over at the sink and grabs the wire scrubber brush. "Now for another sensation," he explains as he takes the scarf from her hands and gives her the brush.

She trails her fingers over the wire brush and she knows it should be an unpleasant sensation, but it's not. "It just tickles a little."

"Hmmm."

Claire blinks at him. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"You're sensations are definitely muted." Mohinder takes her hand in his and reaches for another needle. He barely touches her skin with the tip, "Close your eyes."

She does as instructed and waits for him to continue. "Kay."

"Tell me when you feel me cut into your skin."

Claire nods, biting her lip as she waits in anticipation. She feels the pressure of something pressed against her skin and then nothing. "Well?"

"Amazing."

Her eyes fly open and she stares down at her hand, her mouth dropping open as she sees the needles sticking out of her hand. She quickly takes them out and throws them to the side. "See! Why is this happening to me?!"

"I don't know." Mohinder replies softly. "I've never seen anything like this…and this started after Sylar took your power?"

Claire nods.

"Somehow in the process he turned off your pain receptors, possibly just rewired your brain pathways." He muses as he rubs the back of his neck. "I think a scan would be most beneficial."

"A scan?"

"Yes," Mohinder nods as he stands up and begins pacing the length of his lab. "I think if I speak with Bob, he'll let me use the Company's resources to help. They have a MRI and CAT scan machine that will give me better insight into your brain."

"And this will help me?" Claire questions, trying not to get her hopes up, but this is what she craves more then anything. Please.

Mohinder bites his lips, "It's a place to begin."

Claire nods, knowing that it's better than a definite yes or no. "Okay."

~

They ride to the Company in silence, Claire's thoughts race at the thought of finally finding the answers to what ails her. She glances up at the looming building and sighs. She's never set foot inside the building that has indirectly influenced her life, she's always been afraid that once she did, nothing would ever be the same.

Lost in her own thoughts, she doesn't even realize that the car has come to a full stop before the building. She takes a deep breath and quickly gets out of the car. "So, this is it?"

"Yes," Mohinder nods as he glances over at the large sign dictating the headquarters of Primatech Research Incorporated.

"Primatech," Claire inhales as she follows Mohinder into the building and down a long hallway. "So, where's Bob's office?"

"Third floor," he states as they near the elevator and he pushes the up button. "I wasn't able to reach him, but he's usually not far from his office."

"And he'll just see you?"

"He usually does," Mohinder shrugs. "He likes to keep tabs on everything I do. And he'll be more than interested in my studies concerning you."

"Sounds fun," she snorts shaking her head.

"He may want another sample of your blood," Mohinder says offhandedly and Claire freezes, suddenly recalling just who Bob is.

"Whoa, wait." She gasps, taking a step back. "Bob as in Mr. Bishop, Bob?"

Mohinder shifts on his feet and nods. "Yes."

"Oh, I don't think so-"

"Claire."

"No," she shakes her head. "He kidnapped me, strapped me down, and took my blood...not to mention what followed after that!"

Mohinder sighs. "Do you want answers to your problem?"

Claire crosses her arms over her chest, glaring at him. "Yes, I do. But, Bob?"

Mohinder matches her stance and waits a moment for her gaze to soften slightly. "We need Bob's help, the resources that we need are here."

"Is this the only way?" She finds herself asking, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, Claire, this is the only viable option at the moment."

"Does that mean Elle is lurking around here too?" She groans, shaking her head and Mohinder can't help but smile.

"Perhaps," he nods. "Unless Bob sent her on another mission."

"Well, she's a crappy agent."

Mohinder chuckles at her comment, "She isn't as bad as you think."

Claire rolls her eyes and tenses slightly as the elevator dings and the doors open. Claire gasps in surprise as Mohinder swipes his card and a door in the back panel slides open. "An elevator within the elevator?"

"It's a company within a company," Mohinder explains. "Did you expect anything less?"

"Guess I never really considered the mechanics of it all." Claire begins as they enter the second elevator and Mohinder presses three. After a slight jolt they ascended and she studies the lighted buttons on the console. "There seems to be more buttons then stories."

"Ah, but there are a few subbasements," he states. "You don't want to go down there." There's slight edge in his voice and she can't help but nod in reply.

Claire wants to ask what's in the subbasements but she refrains. Instead she just bites her inner cheek and follows Mohinder out of the elevator and down the hall.

"Bob?" Mohinder calls out as he knocks on the door and pops his head into his office. "May I have a word with you?" Mohinder takes a step in when there's no immediate response and Claire stays close by his side. "Bob?"

The chair swings around, revealing Angela Petrelli and not Bob Bishop. "Mohinder, Claire," she states, a thin smile on her lips and they blink at her in surprise. "I was expecting you."

"Where's Bob?" Mohinder questions, glancing around the office.

"He's no longer available," she states firmly, tapping her fingers on the desk. "Is there something you needed, Doctor Suresh?"

Claire recognizes the cold tone of her voice and tenses. "Where is he?"

"I'm afraid he's no longer with us." She replies, looking off to the distance. "I'm in charge now," she states, standing up and smoothing her skirt. "Now, is there something you needed?"

Claire glances back at Mohinder who is staring blankly at the wall. "We, uh, wanted to use some of the Company's equipment."

Angela nods. "Is that so?" She questions, looking directly at Mohinder.

"Yes," he replies as he glances at Claire. "Claire is suffering from some side effects and I need to run a scan on her."

"I see," Angela studies them briefly. "You're free to use them as you see fit. I assume you still have access to the equipment."

"Yes, thank you." Mohinder forces a smile as he glances once more around the room. His smile falters and he voices the question they are both thinking. "How did Bob die?"

"It appears that he was wasting his power," she supplies and Mohinder pales, looking briefly at Claire.

"Sylar." Claire gasps, her fists clenching at her side. "Is he still here?!"

"Of course," Angela smiles. "Why wouldn't he be?"

Claire relaxes slightly, remembering her father's files. "Oh, good. On Level Five then?"

"I see you've done your homework," Angela raises a sculpted brow at her. "Noah's files I presume."

Claire feels her cheeks flush at being caught reading through her father's files. "I just wanted to know more-" her voice trails off as she feels her hair stand on end and her heart skips a beat. She spins on her heels to see Sylar leaning against the doorframe as if it was the most natural thing to do.

"Hello, Claire." He states, gazing over her and then smirks at Mohinder, standing just as still beside her. "Mohinder." He steps through the door, flashing them a bright smile, before casting a look at Angela. "Mother."

Claire feels like her world has shattered into a million pieces at his simple address toward Angela and she falters slightly. "What!?" She cries out, Mohinder echoing the same sentiment, both are just as shocked at the turn of events.

Angela offers him a small smile. "Gabriel, this isn't the best time."

"Gabriel?!" Claire gasps, her eyes widening even more. "No. No, this can't be real."

"Oh, but, it is Claire," Sylar replies softly as he takes a step forward.

"This is some sort of trick, an illusion," Mohinder insists glancing back and forth between them, inching closer to Claire as if to protect her.

Sylar chuckles, grinning as he offers a slight nod to Angela. "I'll come back."

"Thank you Gabriel," Angela smiles and he leaves as quickly as he left.

"He. He." Claire begins, unable to form her thoughts. "Is it true? Is he a Petrelli? Your son?"

"Yes."

"But how?" Claire stares her, unable to believe it. She glances over at Mohinder but he seems lost in his own thoughts.

"The details are not important, Claire." Angela begins softly. "I gave him up in hopes to save him from his father, but it appears it was a mistake."

"I find this all very hard to believe," Mohinder states and Claire nods her head in agreement. "Is he playing you? That's what he does-"

"I understand that he's hurt you both," Angela sighs. "And this must be hard for you to understand, but we need him on our side."

"Our side?" Claire repeats. "Our side of what?"

"There is a war coming," she states, glancing off in the distance. "If we play our cards right, the future I see will not pass."

"And we need Sylar with us in order to win?" Mohinder questions sharply. "So, we what? Play nice with the enemy…is he truly your son?"

"He is a true Petrelli," Angela smiles her gaze locking with Claire's. "He is my son."

"I just can't believe this," Claire whispers, shaking her head. "Does Nathan know? Peter?"

"Peter knows," She replies with a tight smile. "Nathan will in time."

"I bet that won't go over well," Mohinder comments dryly.

Angela stiffens. "If you don't need anything else," she states. "I have other things to attend to."

"No," he sighs. "We'll be fine."

"And Sylar-"

"Gabriel will not bother you," Angela interjects as she waves them to the door as she walks forward. "You have nothing to fear from your Uncle, Claire."

Claire shivers, making at face at the comment. "My uncle…My god, my uncle tried to kill me."

"Leave the past is in the past," Angela remarks as Mohinder and Claire file out of the office and she locks the door. "This is a new start for Gabriel and for the company."

~

In silence Claire follows Mohinder to the fourth floor and into the safety of a huge laboratory. Claire watches as Mohinder slowly takes his jacket off and then throws his messenger bag across the room. He yells in frustration and Claire is immediately at his side, she places her hand on his arm and he tenses. He looks at her and exhales sharply. "I shouldn't let him get to me." He comments before he shakes his head. "I'm sorry, we should get started."

Claire nods, pausing as she realizes she doesn't know what had taken place between Mohinder and Sylar. "How do you know him?" She can't help but ask. "I mean, if you've crossed paths with him, shouldn't you be dead like all the rest."

Mohinder snorts, rubbing at the bridge of his nose. "Claire."

"Oh, come on," Claire prods sitting on one of the stools and playing with her hair. "You know about my run ins-"

"He killed my father."

Claire inhales sharply, her eyes widening. "Oh, Mohinder, I'm so sorry."

He smiles at the sentiment, and sighs "It's not even been a year since his death," he whispers. "At times I still can't believe that-" he shakes his head dismissively. "He killed my father and I gave him his life back—returning his powers back to him."

Claire blinks, her mouth dropping in shock. "Huh?! Why?"

"He threatened my life, Molly's, and a young woman named Maya." He sighs, rubbing the back of his neck. "I had no choice—I gave him the cure to the virus."

"He survived the virus too?" Claire gasps. "He's just like a watch- takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Mohinder can't help but laugh in response. "Just like you."

Claire scrunches her nose at the reminder. "Great."

Mohinder smiles, glancing over the lab room. "Let's get started before we have another interruption."

Claire nods in agreement and simply waits for instructions. She stands up and begins walking around the room, she notes that in opposite corners there are two large donut shaped machines, blocked off by glass partitions. She assumes that it's the equipment that Mohinder had wanted to use. She glances up and notices a long glass panel along the wall.

"It's a viewing room," Mohinder supplies as he follows her gaze.

"Huh."

"According to the notes they used to test the most elite powers and allowed whoever was interested to watch." Mohinder continues, frowning slightly. "It was inhumane, the things they did."

"I can't even imagine." Claire whispers as she turns her attention back to Mohinder. "Whatcha need me to do?"

"Let's start with the MRI," he states as he points to one of the machines. "Are you wearing any jewelry or clothing with any metal?"

Claire pauses, glancing down at her outfit. "Uh, yeah."

Mohinder nods and crosses over to a closet and grabs a gown. "Change into this and we'll be able to begin."

"Is there somewhere I can change?" She questions as she takes the gown, glancing once more around the room.

"Yes, there's a bathroom that should work." Mohinder points to a door in the back of the room and offers a small smile. "It'll be okay."

Claire forces a smile and nods. "Yeah, sure." She mumbles more to herself as she goes to change.

~

Mohinder stares at the results of the MRI and rubs wearily at his eyes. "Well?" Claire questions and Mohinder glances back at her. "Is there anything?"

"Everything looks fine," Mohinder states, returning his gaze back to the images, "In fact there is no scaring or proof that Sylar-"

"Cut opened my skull?" Claire grumbles. "At least my power's working."

Mohinder simply nods, not adding anything to her comment. "Let's try another scan with contrast. It'll enhance the intricate blood work…maybe, it'll show us what we need."

"Contrast?" Claire questions as Mohinder turns back to her. "What's that?"

"It's a substance that is injected into your veins…it circulates, enhancing the appearance of blood vessels, tumors, or inflammation that may exists. It gives us a better picture-" his voice falters and he laughs. "Does this make any sense to you?"

"Yes." She smiles, nodding her head. "Will it hurt?"

Mohinder laughs. "Isn't that why we are here?"

"Yeah," Claire suddenly laughs, realizing what she had said. "So, just an injection and another round in the machine?"

"Yes," Mohinder nods as he waves his hand back toward the MRI machine.

~

Claire paces the room as Mohinder begins to look at the new results. The tension in the room increasing ever so slightly as the minutes pass and she knows that Mohinder feels bad for not being able to find what's the cause. Please, show him what's wrong.

She sits impatiently as Mohinder continues to study the scans. Claire stiffens slightly as she suddenly feels like someone is staring at her. She glances over at Mohinder but he's not paying any attention to her. The feeling intensifies and she feels a jolt run down her spine and she glances up to see a shadow lurking above them.

Sylar.

"Mohinder," she urges as she jumps up from her seat and quickly crosses over to him. "He's watching us."

"Huh?" Mohinder blinks, focusing his attention on Claire. "What did you-" his voice trails off as she notices her pointing up and he looks up. His eyes narrow and he swallows. "Just ignore him."

"Ignore him?" Claire gasps, eyes widening. "But-"

Mohinder turns his gaze back to the scans before him. "He wants a reaction out of us, don't give it to him."

Claire huffs sitting back down, trying to focus her thoughts on anything but the fact that Sylar is watching them. "I mean, why does he even care?" She begins, glancing back up at him. "He already has my power."

"What he always does," Mohinder replies dryly. "Play with you mind."

"Yeah, I guess." She grumbles, pulling on her sleeves and glancing down at her nails. "What is his powers?"

"Sylar's?"

"No, the boogieman's." She rolls her eyes in annoyance. "Of course I mean Sylar."

Mohinder laughs, shaking his head. "Sylar is the boogieman."

"Huh?"

"Molly refers to Sylar as the boogieman," Mohinder explains and Claire's eyes widen in shock.

"Oh," Claire gasps, instantly recalling Molly's breakfast confession. "He killed her parents."

"Yes." He sighs, rubbing his brow. "And to answer your question, he has intuitive aptitude."

"Intuitive aptitude?" She repeats, glancing once more up at Sylar.

"He has the ability to understand the structure and operation of complex systems of anything without being taught." Mohinder explains, he snorts shaking his head. "And thus he may be the only one that can figure out what is wrong with you."

Claire blinks. "What? No."

"I'm afraid so Claire," He sighs as he stands. "I can't help you."

Claire's heart squeezes painfully and she shakes her head. "No, no. You have to know."

"I'm sorry, Claire."

"So, my only chance rest in his hands!" She gestures up toward him. "I can't believe this."

Mohinder sighs. "I wouldn't even suggest it, but he may be your only hope to figure this all out." Mohinder glances up only to see that he's no longer there. "And he's probably on his way in here."

"Great."

"Remember, he already has your powers," He whispers as he reaches over and squeezes her hand. "I won't leave your side. You don't have to do this on your own."

The doors of the lab bang open and they jump up, turning toward him. "It's not very nice to talk about someone behind their back."

"Like you weren't listening," Mohinder offers as he glares at him. "Will you help or not?"

Sylar shrugs, studying them before he steps into the room. "What's in it for me?"

"The satisfaction of helping your family," Claire replies, forcing a smile to her face. "Isn't that what we Petrelli's do?"

Sylar smirks. "What seems to be the problem?"

"Can't you already sense it?" Mohinder prompts and Sylar stares blankly at him. "Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Do it."

Sylar chuckles, "I suppose it is." He takes a step closer, looming over her as she attempts not to shrink back. "Your healing ability is intact."

"It's not my ability I am worried about," Claire replies as she stands before him, glaring at him.

He snorts, reaching out and trailing his fingers over her brow. "You can no longer feel pain."

Claire gasps, slightly surprised that he can sense it so easily. "Yeah."

"Why would you want to get rid of that?"

"Once you can't feel pain, how long is it before you can't feel anything else?" She questions and he nods studying her briefly.

"Can you fix it?" Mohinder prompts and Claire pulls back from Sylar's touch.

Sylar smirks. "I would have to cut you open again, can you handle that?"

Claire exhales sharply, her heart racing at the thought of him repeating his actions once more. "I-I don't. No."

"Is there no other way?" Mohinder quickly intercedes. "You can't expect her-"

"What's in it for you, Mohinder?" Sylar questions, turning his intense gaze to him. "Couldn't help Maya? So you're going to try to help the cheerleader instead?"

"Sylar," Mohinder warms and Claire can see that they're close to exchanging blows.

"Does it really matter?" Claire questions. "I asked him to help me."

"Yes," Sylar grins. "Help you, the poor defenseless cheerleader. She can't even help herself."

Claire blinks, her anger flaring. "Don't."

"Don't what?" he smirks. "You're weak Claire. Why do you think it was so easy to take what I wanted?"

Claire glares at him pushing him away. Sylar doesn't budge, only chuckles in response. "Just get out- I don't want your help."

Sylar smirks, raising his hands and then suddenly there's nothing but darkness.

~

Claire blinks up at the bright lights, but she doesn't even remember closing them. She sits up, grabbing at her head as the slow ebb of pain fades away. "Oh!" She gaps, realizing that she can finally feel pain once more. "He fixed me."

She hears Mohinder moan and she turns to him, quickly crawling over to his supine form. "Mohinder?"

Mohinder eyes flutter open and he manages a grim smile. "You okay?"

"Yeah." She states quickly, smiling as she realizes she feels better than she had in days.

"Did he hurt you?" He questions as he sits up, reaching up and tracing her head, smearing the blood across his brow.

"He fixed me." Claire whispers. "I don't- I mean…why?"

Mohinder shrugs. "I can't even pretend to know what his motives may be."

Claire nods, glancing over to the doors. "He fixed me and let us go, to what purpose?"

"I don't know Claire," he whispers as he gets to his feet and helps her up. "I rather not think about it."

"I guess that's it," she smiles. "He healed me, I don't need- I guess I can. Oh, I don't know."

Mohinder sighs, smiling at her. "Go home Claire, get away from here. Don't let them suck you in."

She reluctantly nods, knowing that he's telling her the truth. "I know. But, I want to learn, to finally be able to fight men like Sylar. I need this."

Mohinder frowns, shaking his head in defeat. "That's your decision."

"I know."

The End

Last edited by icalynn on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Heroes fic: Ameliorate (Teen) Claire fic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:18 pm 
Dorkus Maximus and Super Wuss

oh yippee - Ica- that was AWESOME! Thank you so much!